Jaw drop oil change

I'm getting conflicting info as to what's due at 60,000.one says they change oil in the front and rear diffs as well as a laundry list of other items. Roughly $900. The other 2 are saying different items and about $700. I do my own work on my Sunbeam but toe Tacoma goes to the dealership.

What items are critical as it seems dealers interpret Toyotas maintenance schedule differently

I've had mine just under 25 months and have 48,500 on it.

Should say in the owners manual, and i think theres a schedule in here
https://www.toyota.com/owners/

I tend to agree. I read the schedule in my manual package and I will request we stick with that schedule.

From owners' experience, is there anything you know I should ask to be done rather than leave it to them?

I do the oil changes my self. Toyota in bc Canada wants 149 dollars plus fore it . It’s expensive I buy mobile 1 at Costco on sale fore 6 litters $27 , fillter Walmart $4.50 k&n , $7 Fram . If you are going to do it you’re self it’s a little tricky first time but it’s easer then most cars you don’t even have jack it nice .buy the filter removal tool made by qwaker state
NEVER buy fram filters! Project farm opened a few, theyre filter material is totally sub par, like thin newspaper compared to any other brand.

I have also used a lot if Amsoil products with great results, ran it in my Harley for 50000 miles with no problems, cam chain tensioner shoes still in good condition. When I had my hemi ram Amsoil was the only oil that had acceptable performane in my opinion. My only concern is the signature series not being API certified should any warranty issue come up in the future.

I have been watching all of the amsoil changes done on YouTube by a dealer named Eben Rockmaker. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if this is all slick "snake oil" salesmanship?? I'm using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20 (found this stuff on sale) and a Toyota/Lexus fact. filter.

He did an oil change on a 3rd Gen Tacoma. I would be worried about Signature Series oil not having all of the API makings and specs on the bottle.

I have been watching all of the amsoil changes done on YouTube by a dealer named Eben Rockmaker. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if this is all slick "snake oil" salesmanship?? I'm using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20 (found this stuff on sale) and a Toyota/Lexus fact. filter.

He did an oil change on a 3rd Gen Tacoma. I would be worried about Signature Series oil not having all of the API makings and specs on the bottle.

About 20 years ago, I bought some Amsoil 15W40 diesel oil for my 680CK to help with cold cranking speed in the winter when I used it to move snow. The oil wasn't cheap, but it DID do what I wanted it to, it allowed the big Case engine to spin over fast enough to reliably light off in the coldest weather (block heater and pre-glow taken for granted here, I don't use ether or other starting aids).

The following winter I'm moving snow and the oil pressure gauge drops to about 4 pounds and the engine begins to shake like it wants to come out of the frame. Too heavy to tow, especially in the snow, I drive it the quarter mile to my garage and park it. I figured the crank was shot because a bearing had spun. After all, it WAS a well used engine with unknown hours since the last rebuild. Did you ever see a 680 CK? It's the size of two 580 CK units glued together.

Long story short, after taking the engine apart I find the crank journals as smooth as a baby's butt. Not a mark on them. What had happened was the counterbalancer bushing had walked out of it's bore. Since it was pressure lubricated, it dropped pressure to almost zero. A previous "mechanic" had peened the bushing in place because obviously the bore was wallowed out from previous bushing failure, a known problem with these engines.

In my opinion, Amsoil saved that crankshaft from ruin, running at about 4 pounds of pressure for the ten minutes it took me to limp back to the garage. A new crankshaft was $2200 back then.

That sold me on the quality of their product. I've used Amsoil in my vehicles and mowers ever since.

Could Mobil1 have done this? Possibly. Possibly not. Amsoil may be priced high, but it is not snake oil.

Last edited:
Joisey... This is the kinda information I wanna see concerning Amsoil products. Anyone using 0w-20 Signature Amsoil in their Gen 3 Tacoma??

I also noticed the Amsoil oil filter and the TRD oil filter looks alike??

Joisey... This is the kinda information I wanna see concerning Amsoil products. Anyone using 0w-20 Signature Amsoil in their Gen 3 Tacoma??

I also noticed the Amsoil oil filter and the TRD oil filter looks alike??

I stuck with the Toyota oil filter (changed to the aluminum cap at first oil change). Nothing wrong with Amsoil filters, but there is also nothing wrong with Toyota filters. Bought 12 for about $2.85 each, shipped, from Amazon.
Yes, I am using Amsoil 0W20. With complete confidence. I know that I can pay about $30 and get my oil analyzed to see if it's worn out. My own personal feelings are if the oil has been in the vehicle for 7000 miles, I have gotten my money out of it and change the oil and filter, now I'm good for another 7000 miles. Waste of mone? Perhaps. Some people smoke or gamble, I don't. It's personal choice.

I use Amsoil 2 stroke oil in all of my lawn equipment. Lawnboy mowers required a carbon cleaning yearly to keep the three 3/8 diameter exhaust ports open and to prevent carbon scuffing of the piston. After changing to Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke oil, I have not had to clean the exhaust ports on ANY of my equipment. I mix @ 60:1 for everything, no matter what the manufacturer calls for. Never a problem with oil starvation. Spark plugs look like they came out of a 4 stroke engine.

However, I must admit that Shell 5W40 Rotella T6 oil is almost a duplicate of the Amsoil offering for a lot less money. I would not hesitate to use it in any 4 stroke small engine.

I used Amsoil signature 5w30 oil in my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 HO engine. I ran the snot out of that engine for over 126K miles and had zero problems with the engine. The frame rotted out, the power steering pump reservoir rotted out and the steering box warped making replacement necessary. Also went thru 2 sets of front wheel bearings along with 2 complete sets of brake lines.

I did use Amsoil auto trans fluid with zero trouble. Excellent fluid.

In over 20 years I've had zero trouble with Amsoil products. Gas treatment, oils, grease, trans fluids or metal treatments. Costly, but a fine product.

PS I'm also the guy that cleaned and entirely undercoated the frame and underbody on my new (4 miles) Tacoma. Like I should have done with my GMC, which the dealer told me was rust treated for life...and it rotted to pieces.

The "experts" will say that undercoat traps moisture, promoting rust. How many hundreds of thousand over the road trucks have been undercoated at the factory, only to run for millions of miles on the road?

Last edited:
I'm,running the Amsoil signature series 0/20 in my 19 taco, 5/20 in the wifes grand caravan 3.6, 5/20 in my old f150 that had 200k miles on it when I got rid of it, 5/20 in my 17 ram hemi that I traded on my taco, 20/50 in all three holes of my Harley for 50k miles, 5/30 in an old dakota. Ive used their automatic transmission fluid and gear oils. Ive never had the first issue with any of it. One of the things I like as well as the oil is theyve got you covered for probably 99.9% of youre lubrication needs. No running all over the place trying to find a special fluid or oil, just look it up on their site. If I order over the weekend it will be on my step Tuesday. When I lived in columbus they have distribution center there so I would order and pick it up on the way home from work. Sure, it may be a little expensive but to me well worth it. Also when new specs come out they are usually one of the first to have all ready met those specs or reformulte to meet them.

I'm,running the Amsoil signature series 0/20 in my 19 taco, 5/20 in the wifes grand caravan 3.6, 5/20 in my old f150 that had 200k miles on it when I got rid of it, 5/20 in my 17 ram hemi that I traded on my taco, 20/50 in all three holes of my Harley for 50k miles, 5/30 in an old dakota. Ive used their automatic transmission fluid and gear oils. Ive never had the first issue with any of it. One of the things I like as well as the oil is theyve got you covered for probably 99.9% of youre lubrication needs. No running all over the place trying to find a special fluid or oil, just look it up on their site. If I order over the weekend it will be on my step Tuesday. When I lived in columbus they have distribution center there so I would order and pick it up on the way home from work. Sure, it may be a little expensive but to me well worth it. Also when new specs come out they are usually one of the first to have all ready met those specs or reformulte to meet them.

I recall being chastised on a GMC forum for saying that I used their 5W30 oil in my new truck. That was ALL that I said. One of the mods didn't want HIS website becoming an Amsoil advertisement because all that company was is a pyramid scheme for fools. I told him to kiss my azz and left the forum.

Last edited:
I recall being chatized on a GMC forum for saying that I used their 5W30 oil in my new truck. That was ALL that I said. One of the mods didn't want HIS website becoming an Amsoil advertisement because all th at company was is a pyramid scheme for fools. I told him to kiss my azz and left the forum.
Lol. You aught to see the ram forum. If you don't run redline youre just the skum of the earth. We all have our favorites or standbys and thats cool, I will critasize no one for their choices.

Lol. You aught to see the ram forum. If you don't run redline youre just the skum of the earth. We all have our favorites or standbys and thats cool, I will critasize no one for their choices.

I took a peek in a few Dodge forums. Wow, they are a bit off of center, that's for sure. I'm almost tempted to join and sing the praises of Walmart straight 40 wt non detergent oil and watch the membership drop from strokes.

I took a peek in a few Dodge forums. Wow, they are a bit off of center, that's for sure. I'm almost tempted to join and sing the praises of Walmart straight 40 wt non detergent oil and watch the membership drop from strokes.
Hahahahahahaha!

I worked at mopar for a very short time, and the dealership was VERY picky when it came to oil.
That was only some dealerships, I delivered parts to 2 ram dealers, had I taken my ram to either one of them for service and requested 5/20 synthetic I would have gotten store brand oil from NAPA, auto zone, or advance auto, whichever was the cheapest for them at the time. They talk a good game, just don't turn youre back.

That was only some dealerships, I delivered parts to 2 ram dealers, had I taken my ram to either one of them for service and requested 5/20 synthetic I would have gotten store brand oil from NAPA, auto zone, or advance auto, whichever was the cheapest for them at the time. They talk a good game, just don't turn youre back.

When I was 13 I worked at a nearby Chevy/Olds dealer prepping new and used cars for sale. They charged customers for genuine GM parts and gave them Cardo rebuilt units. I saw this with my own eyes. The best was that they charged customers for "Mr. Goodwrench" oil and installed bulk 10-W30 oil from US Oil. It was so thin that hydraulic lifters would leak down and clatter at hot idle unless they installed a can of GM engine oil supplement, at a high price.

That taught me at the tender age of 13 to do my own work on my new or used vehicle.

Last edited:
I have run 5w30 in all my gas vehicles for the past 20 years, and diesel spec 15w40 in my diesels, and motorcycles. I don't have the time or energy to be a brand snob.

Guess I’m lucky, free oil changes at dealer as long as I own it. I kinda thought that was becoming the norm. Thinking it was to insure I brought it to them so they could look for services they could charge for.

Back