noticeable increase in fuel consumption, losing 50 tacoMiles per tank of tacoJuice... what is going on?

I just picked up 18.18 gallons to cover 346 miles, yielding 19.0 mpg feeding a 4.0 L, 4400 lb Gem2 burning E15. I could prolly gain an mpg or 2 by shifting to E10, but E15 is less expensive.

Thanks just the same. I'll hang onto this Gem2 and smile at the fender flappin' Gen 1s as I cruise past.

E15 is only 5c less at shell where I am
Only a single cab gen2 has the charms!
Quiet as F at 90 mph crossing the border into Iowa, sometimes maxxxing the 100 limiter
Wish me gen1 was that quiet doing 90 on the freeway lol but it doesn't brake as quick as the gen2 single cab

E15 isn't even sold here where I'm at, only E10. Last I checked I was getting 22 mpg, and change for this 3.5. Heck at 70 mph in 6th gear, your barely turning 2k rpm.

Last edited:
Jay, be aware. If you get stopped in IA at 20 mph over, then you will get a hefty fine possibly impound the vehicle.

IA is one of the states which strictly enforce the speed limit.

Don't screw with the IA Highway Patrol.

I have yet to be pulled over by Iowa state patrol, I try to watch speed except by the speedway by newton and the Missouri river crossings
And Iowa has been the most miles of any state I have been in, Missouri is a close 2nd
Bless U i29

Run on I-35 or I-80 at those speeds. You'll find an IHP. I'm sure he'll be nice enough to introduce himself to you.

But considering how fast and how sound your Gen1 is, you should be able to out run any IHP.

I have seen enough Iowa state patrol never met one in person other than the guy that rescued me from a snow ditch and gave me a ride to the wings America truck stop in below zero weather 20 years long ago

ACTUALLY! They are most prevalent around the Sioux City area in my experience
Don't speedy around there on i29 us-20 or us-75

Run on I-35 or I-80 at those speeds. You'll find an IHP. I'm sure he'll be nice enough to introduce himself to you.

But considering how fast and how sound your Gen1 is, you should be able to out run any IHP.
Yeah, but when he does finally catch up to his gen1, he can tell the cop i ran low on fuel....you would never have got me, if I was spoon fed, able to fix this gas consumption issue I've been having.
In connecticut state police have been steadily working with the DOT marking our main interstates, and highway routes for use with planes to check for speeding, so beware of the bear in the air.

Last edited:
Nothing new that hasn't already been mentioned, and discussed on this forum if you've paid attention. Just read your owners manual for maintenance when to do this stuff.
As far as this guy being from nj...who gives a rats ass even, if he's from california ...maintenance is maintenance.

it says 30k on plugs for 5VZFE
BUT
i have ran to ~70k on at least 2 occasion (because 200$ LOL) and they still looked relatively ok other than a bit worn, no issues with misfire OR MPG loss that was noticeable
do U need pics of those old plugs to see how i mean it

Yeah, and I know many that have run over a 100k miles on iridiums when the manual states replacing them at 60k miles. I always did my tundra at 30k miles which was recommended for the el'cheapo plugs. Never had any issue either. That truck was addicted to gasoline no matter if you did your tuneup at 30k, or 50k. You'd be lucky to see 18 mpg highway.

Something to think about,

Each spark plug will fire about 1,000,000 times in 1,000 miles.

Everything has a life span. If Toyota recommends replace at 30K, (or whatever is in your Owner's Manual) then just do it. Plugs are a pretty inexpensive item. You'll spend more on oil changes than on plugs.

My Gem2 needs 6 plugs of just simple copper base with 30K mile changes. A set costs me about $30. I gap and change them myself in about an hour.

One DIY oil change will cost about $40, 6 oil changes in 30K miles.

Seems like a pretty wise choice to change when recommended. Not so wise to stretch the interval to save $30.

I am not at that skill level yet :confused:

Oil change cost me less than 25$ and 4x in 30k miles

Iridium plugs for my 3.5 v6 are not what I consider cheap vs those cheap ngk,s my tundra used, even at twice the mileage range. At least the oil changes are the same.

Iridium plugs for my 3.5 v6 are not what I consider cheap vs those cheap ngk,s my tundra used, even at twice the mileage range. At least the oil changes are the same.
Agreed. The iridiums are expensive with the only benefit is a longer service life. No additional power, still a spark to ignite the fuel /air mix,....... 1,000,000 fires in 1,000 miles.

I suspect if you run the cost/mile you may discover the iridiums are more expensive per mile. Example: say the iridiums are 3X the cost of coppers, then for equal cost/mile the change interval should be at least 3X longer than copper for break even.

The iridiums were developed as a Marketing tool so the vehicle can be advertised as "less maintenance" and "longer maintenance interval".

I'd have to agree on less maintenance using iridium plugs, until you have to actually do it.... it's a pita to get at the driver side plugs on these 3.5 v6's, not a simple 15 minute job replacing all 8 like on my 4.7 tundra.

Back