Oil change

Engines just don't rattle, or no one would buy them when new. If rattling, something is failing, or worn. I wouldn't listen to a lot of the bs on tw, they would have you changing your oil every 1k miles with the most expensive synthetic oils, not realizing their not allowing the rings to seat earlier enough, or well at all, causing their trucks a loss in performance with excessive piston blow-bye.

Last edited:
it goes away once its all warmed up
some days longer than others

whatever could it be? i am tired of searching for this issue that is likely common on this Gen2

its got a bunch of other CRAP in this engine i have NEVER heard of before!

like secondary air injection garbage and crap like that

Take it to a good auto tech instead of trying to keep guessing, or asking online what it can be. You need to stop listening to these hacks you seem to gravitate to.

what is the issue with asking online in order to self-educate oneself?

i am certainly sure that somebody anybody out there on the interWebs has had similar issues with it all!

It depends who your asking, and exactly what your asking. You can get 20 wrong answers online for everyone that might be right. More that don't apply, if you, yourself aren't sure what your asking.
It's like a problem you have thats not in the vehicles data base, these younger guys today have no clue where to start. We're lucky to have older techs here that have seen it all. You gotta be willing to pay for their experience.

so they are practitioners of extortion?
Those older techs seen it all done it all

Well, I won't attempt to guess at the current ailment you're guessing at.

I can say my Gem2 V-6 does not have a knock at cold start up. I'm using the oil as recommended by the 710 cap, 5w30, without any issues.

I do have to agree with tacojoel. Get it to a mechanic that you have faith and trust. Leave it overnight, so the mechanic can start it to hear/witness the "knock" you claim.

My guess to the cause of your knock is a gremlin trying to get warm.

Geez, we need more members whining about issues in their taco's like they do on tw. Seems just about everyone on this forum rarely has any issue with their tacoma's, even older ones..... Gotta admit, I'm bored with all this great reliability.

Geez, we need more members whining about issues in their taco's like they do on tw. Seems just about everyone on this forum rarely has any issue with their tacoma's, even older ones..... Gotta admit, I'm bored with all this great reliability.
Sorry........ I handle maintenance and repairs on a timely basis. Breakdowns with forced repairs always happen with the worst timing.

Ya know the problem with the Blackstone placebo? The damage is already done when you send in the sample. The analysis is too late. It is not preventative.

OMG, the post he copied and pasted is nearly 5 years old. ROFLMAO.......

Last edited:
Thats just it. Most do the require maintenance to give their truck a long life, but like anything financially, there come's a time it no longer make sense to keep it.

Thats just it. Most do the require maintenance to give their truck a long life, but like anything financially, there come's a time it no longer make sense to keep it.
Agreed. On the other hand there are those who love and cherish an old ride. I have an '81 Honda CX500C in desperate need of serious engine and ignition work. My estimated repair cost is well over $1000. I seriously doubt it has that much value, but I love riding it. The smiles per mile is very high and 50 mpg aint bad either. Its my avatar pic

I'm the same way with old dirt bikes...still have one of my 91 125 ktm xc bike's that I raced my last season on before retiring. I gave up riding street bikes a few years before that. It just got too dangerous with all the careless drivers out there. Saw too many of my friends lose their lives, or end up in wheelchairs for life.

I'm the same way with old dirt bikes...still have my 91 125 ktm xc bike that I raced my last season on before retiring. I gave up riding street bikes a few years before that. It just got too dangerous with all the careless drivers out there. Saw too many of my friends lose their lives, or end up in wheelchairs for life.
Understand that. I have a buddy who had a very close encounter with a deer at 70 mph. Fortunately, him and his wife were wearing full gear. She ended with a broken arm with an overnight. He was in the horspital for 3 days. Concussion watch. His helmet was road rashed on the circumference and cracked. The deer was split.

I only ride in full gear.

I always did to with full gear whether on the street, or dirt. I've suffered a couple good concussions racing off-road, not to mention a badly broken leg, ankle, and foot that pretty much caused my retirement. Had many other broken bones before that which never slow me down. Have to admit suffering a stroke at 60 was the hardest medical issue to recover from.

Back