shimmy in the steering upon hard rapid braking...

going to try to get to this done this coming week for my relative with decent temps out and no rain forecast

not sure exactly how long the truck will be down with no front wheels on stands for them since this is a noob task for I
and i definitely do NOT want to do a hack job
zero fukks is what i am aiming for

hopefully the right knee has healed up enough from the two snow shoveling incidents in below zero weather back in January
it is still kinda sketch :confused:

I've had a sore back from too much shoveling, but never a knee. I still have a gimpy right knee from my cross country bike racing days, among other nagging injuries. I pop a couple advil when the pain interferes too much.

i slipped twice on the snowpack of shovel almost a foot in sub-zero temps
my knee was all that was keeping my balance and not taking a dive and more possible injury of broken elbow or cracked head

I fractured my elbow years ago ice fishing when I forgot the crimp on's to my boots. I took one of those classic banana peel type chitters.

Perhaps this here is the culprit of that shimmy shimmy !?

After changing rotor and pads on driver side
Found this on passenger side
It was Missing the slide pin
Dealer did these brakes last time about 2.5 years ago and 32k miles

IMG_20240311_181920_992.jpg

Last edited:
would missing this caliper slide pin also induce some non-normal chattering in the anti-lock braking system on the snowpack from a couple of months ago?

not knowing much about ABS i did not know for sure if that kind of chatter and pedal studder studder was normal or non-normal when going in to the slide on that snowpack i was wheeling around in

That lower picture with the way that pad retaining pin for the caliber just doesn't look right vs others I've seen. I don't think someone installed those retainer clips right either unless toyota did something different vs other years. At any rate it's likely why your brakes worked fd up. I'd say you have a real legit complaint against the shop that did this.

That lower picture with the way that pad retaining pin for the caliber just doesn't look right vs others I've seen. I don't think someone installed those retainer clips right either unless toyota did something different vs other years. At any rate it's likely why your brakes worked fd up. I'd say you have a real legit complaint against the shop that did this.

i just wish i would have started doing the passenger side 1st yesterday!

dealer has one in stock for 4.50 and 8 miles away

All back together and road tested
No shimmy shimmy ya noticed but more miles likely must be wheeled
IDK!?

no noticeable shimmy in the steering upon some rapid braking from the freeway offramp yesterday

a pleasant braking experience was definitely had on exit 0 off the 80 to 29 ramp crossing the big river
almost 90 but not quite so

still no issues as of yet whilst braking it hard off the fast freeway exit

I'd say it's pretty rare to have missing parts. At any rate, unless one does an inspection of an issue themselves, never rely on the internet to know 100% what it is. All you're doing is online fishing.

Last edited:
somebody out THERE has definitely seen and done it all before
this is certainly NOT the very first time something such as this has happened or so i would think

Chit happens whether man made, or not. You can always post this on every forum till your hearts content finding the answer you want to see, or you can forget about it, and move on as most normal owners would.

Back