spark plugs... how long do you let them go for

is there truth to that?
the 02 are original on the truck but the car has been replaced 3x now because it keeps throwing codes for that downstream one

Last edited:
I've never had issues with an O2 sensor. Never needed to replace them.

We had a '07 Corolla (aka cockroach) that ran to nearly 200k when it was sold. Current '02 Trailblazer with nearly 130K, still OEM exhaust and sensors. We live in the winter salt belt.

Frankly, replacing at 100K could be considered preventative type maintenance. Is the replacement required at 100K.....doubtful. Will the replacement at 100K prevent issues......maybe. Peace of mind.....possible.

IMHO. the best path to keep the O2 sensors working well is to keep the engine maintained and burn the recommended fuel.

Less chance of fouling the O2 sensors or CATs.

02 sensors are like spark plugs, they deteriorate allowing your fuel economy to get worse plus eventually kill your cats if you don't get a code first.

02 sensors are like spark plugs, they deteriorate allowing your fuel economy to get worse plus eventually kill your cats if you don't get a code first.
do they teach that at the ASE Toyota maintenance school training?

i wonder if there is a way to test 02 sensors current health to see how fouled they are becoming
if only to cut down on wear to that cat...

Genuine Toyota Spark Plugs:

• All resistor plugs with single ground electrodes feature a patented *U-groove design*, resulting in a hotter spark.
  • All *platinum-tipped plugs* are designed to last up to 60,000 miles before replacement.
  • For newer Toyota vehicles with distributorless ignition systems (DIS), replace your original spark plugs with the same *dual ground electrode* platinum-tipped plugs that came standard with the vehicle ù single ground electrode plugs offered by competitors will only last one-half as long.
  • *Tip*: Be sure to check to see if there are platinum or iridium spark plugs available for your vehicle.
  • *Iridium* spark plugs can last up to 120,000 miles!
  • To ensure the most trouble-free operation of your Toyota, please check your vehicleÆs Scheduled Maintenance Guide or consult your Toyota dealer for proper spark plug change intervals.

IIRC, the 4 cylinder use the dual electrode. The 6 uses a single electrode. This may only apply to Gen2.

Either way, please consult your Owner's Manual for the correct plug for YOUR truck.

IIRC, the 4 cylinder use the dual electrode. The 6 uses a single electrode. This may only apply to Gen2.

Either way, please consult your Owner's Manual for the correct plug for YOUR truck.
I am going to double check which one is proper!
It's probably the single one

All i know is what happened to using the cheap $1.50 ngk plugs in their older trucks?
Well.....they aint a $1.50 anymore. A candy bar is about $1.70.......

I use the basic copper Denso in my 1FE-GR (4.0L V-6) Gen2. They cost about $5/ea at the dealer. Funny thing, the dealer cost was less than the Auto store. So, $30 + tax and about 1 hour of my time. NO reason not to service every 30K. I spend more on oil changes in 30K.

Something to think about, sparkplugs will fire about 1,000,000 times in 1000 miles. o_O

advisor told I the plugs in the truck were 30k rated
Yet they looked swell pulled and swapped at 84k miles of service
Pics later, ...they threw them inna cup to take with
Reckon I saved nearly 300$ not replacing at the recommendation of 30k miles

Gotta ask them. I was only told this by a shop owner/auto tech that services all vehicle makes. Hes ase certified.
Darned it!
I forgot to ask them that today
They were short-handed and failing...

advisor told I the plugs in the truck were 30k rated
Yet they looked swell pulled and swapped at 84k miles of service
Pics later, ...they threw them inna cup to take with
Reckon I saved nearly 300$ not replacing at the recommendation of 30k miles
$300 savings???????

A set of plugs for my v-6 only cost about $30 every 30K. $300 would be 10 plug sets to reach 300,000 miles.

Good grief. You need to find a less expensive mechanic. His labor is nuts...... As an alternative, learn to DIY the plugs.

I've always changed the plugs in my own vehicles. Seems every time i get the next generation of trucks, i get older, and the the job becomes more complicated. I think this time when i get to that point, i'll let someone younger have all the fun.

Back