Steering rack bushings maintenance....

All I can say is the ones on my 2001 tundra were toast just under 100k miles. At 150k miles steering rack was leaking bad too. I just bit the bullet, and replaced the rack, plus all the lines to the pump. Couldn't believe toyota was so stupid to use a rack that had a steel body. The salt ate holes right through it till it began leaking fluid. The toyota replacement rack had a cast aluminum body.

All I can say is the ones on my 2001 tundra were toast just under 100k miles. At 150k miles steering rack was leaking bad too. I just bit the bullet, and replaced the rack, plus all the lines to the pump. Couldn't believe toyota was so stupid to use a rack that had a steel body. The salt ate holes right through it till it began leaking fluid. The toyota replacement rack had a cast aluminum body.
That is bizarre
I wonder what my truck rack is made of lol

Interesting.....

Can't say about a flashlight. I do know a magnet will attach to ferrous metal (steel, iron, some stainless)

FWIW, aluminum does corrode. It looks like white dust.

Interesting.....

Can't say about a flashlight. I do know a magnet will attach to ferrous metal (steel, iron, some stainless)

FWIW, aluminum does corrode. It looks like white dust.
Yeah, if the main rack body is a whitish/grey color, its likely aluminum.

my trucks rack has SO much greasy onit from undercoating spray + road grime buildup, it needs a good cleaning off!

my flashlight has a magnet on the bottom to stick for easement... i was under impression everybody has one for Toyota auto maintenance!

my trucks rack has SO much greasy onit from undercoating spray + road grime buildup, it needs a good cleaning off!

my flashlight has a magnet on the bottom to stick for easement... i was under impression everybody has one for Toyota auto maintenance!
You don't want to get any of that greasy grimy crud on those rack seals...they attract dirt which will eventually get between any moving metal parts causing abrasion to the seals.

You don't want to get any of that greasy grimy crud on those rack seals...they attract dirt which will eventually get between any moving metal parts causing abrasion to the seals.
aren't those sealed up underneath the bellows? (rack boots)
my bellows are not torn AFAIK!

the Corollas were LOL

It's the steering post above thats open. It can collect sand or dirt, at least there was no boot for this on my tundra. I saw a small fluid leak there too. A friend that owns Al's garage nearby in another town told me he's seen some gen3 tacomas with leaky racks with fluid seeping from those tie rod end boots.

not my rig but i ought to see about doing this... the Yota SLOPshop told me they wanted +400$ to do this swap
FML o_O

poly rack bushings ~ 1.jpg

poly rack bushings ~ 2.jpg

poly rack bushing ~ #3.jpg

$400? Thats what you call robbery thats legal. You can change that stuff out in about an hr., its easy peasy.

$400? Thats what you call robbery thats legal. You can change that stuff out in about an hr., its easy peasy.
Yes, my taco peer in Denver with 725k on his superCharged 97 regcab V6 said at the other place it took him a bit over half hour

I believe he did all 3 but I don't know if he also disconnected the tie rod ends and took both wheels off

It's the steering post above thats open. It can collect sand or dirt, at least there was no boot for this on my tundra. I saw a small fluid leak there too. A friend that owns Al's garage nearby in another town told me he's seen some gen3 tacomas with leaky racks with fluid seeping from those tie rod end boots.

this here?

IMG_7726.JPG

from a fellow OG in Colorado...

Last edited:
getting a bit anxious to see what that shiny new rack lookin' like under the old rig

Back