time for an upgrade from the Yota rear shocks...

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 350k on the 0D0
... and i found a doozy of a broken left-turn lane yesterday... wherever does my wheel-tax-paid goto in this rough city IDK IDK

after some research it seems i can get them off the back with spare tire delete and no need to raise truck off the ground and release tension in the springs, as the FSM instructs to do so

KYB is wot i was sold @ AAP

17mm
WoolWax coated for couple years kept rust off 'em It appears... or perhaps not as seen later
IMG_20221026_145212_561.jpg

Last edited:
Now the pickle...

The new kyb are banded to prevent expansion but with truck on ground they are not long enough to just slip on and cut the band :confused:

I am not confident that my left bummed shoulder can muster the effort needed to squeeze it to for it to just slip on there

So far so good it is :D
Came off smoothly with a couple gentle taps of the rubber mallet

IMG_20221026_160946_961.jpg

Last edited:
It's much colder out now then when I first started
Rain clouds moving in, sun went away
Body is shivering and aching under the truck
The concrete is not ice cold yet
Alas..., I cannot finish this at the moment
:confused: :mad: :confused:

Last edited:
Throw a sheet of cardboard on the concrete. It'll give a bit of a cushion and some insulation.

Use the floor jack to raise the axle. I assume the truck is on jack stands. You can cut the retaining strap. The shock should expand slowly. The strap is used for shipping purpose.

Save your shoulders and muscles.

I just completed shock and struts on an '02 Chevy Trailblazer. They were OEM.

Throw a sheet of cardboard on the concrete. It'll give a bit of a cushion and some insulation.

Use the floor jack to raise the axle. I assume the truck is on jack stands. You can cut the retaining strap. The shock should expand slowly. The strap is used for shipping purpose.

Save your shoulders and muscles.

I just completed shock and struts on an '02 Chevy Trailblazer. They were OEM.
No, it's not on any stands! I read it can be done on the ground relatively easy
I've seen horror stories on youTube where they are welded rusted rubber melted on and have to use pry bar and take wheel off for a better angle from the side
Thank goodness this was not the case here!

It took a spell to get the passenger side one off
Had to get cramped under muffler and shaft to go up and over for the top bolt with a 10 inch extension on that breaker... then it needed a few more taps with the mallet than the other side did
No pics coz I was compromised and wrenched my neck under that

... just realised how dangerous this task is, when i finally popped that shock off with the mallet i was almost directly underneath :eek:
i think it bounced on the muffler hangar or else might've dropped right on top of my exposed skull and then worse outcome expected

good grief! these washers are 6$ after discount, 8.85 MSRP

the other side is 3.50 each

If the washers are in good condition, then why bother replacing them???

Rusted, wallowed out, bent, dished......sure.

Back