Tools...

i just feel a need to check tension in those acc.belts that are now high-mileage belts at 120k miles

Easy ol' school way to check belt tension. Only simple things are needed.

Straight edge, ruler, finger.

Lay the straight edge across the pulleys. Use your finger to push the belt at mid-span. Measure the deflection. 1/2" or less is good. More than 1/2" is not good, belt will need to be tensioned.

BTW, needle nose pliers are NOT GOOD for spring clamps. You'd have better success with Linesmen pliers. Even linesmen pliers are not the correct tool.

Anyhow, you need to use what you have in the box. I know I have used an improper tool for a particular job.

Fifty odd years ago a young recently discharged fellow found work in a radiator shop. One of the first things he learned was that spring clamps are always replaced with good clamps. Spring clamps are used because they are cheap, and the manufacturer is not the guy who will be replacing them when doing maintenance on the system.

toyota constant tension spring clamps for coolant hoses are better than those worm clamps i have read many times

they do or did use worm clamps on various fuel line hoses but not all of them

Reusing old spring clamps will bite you in the ass sooner, or later. I always replace them with new ones.

Last edited:
Reusing old spring clamps will bite you in the ass sooner, or later. I always replace them with new ones.

top ones reused on my rig are ok after almost 4 years... no leaks no seepage
but i will monitor that bottom one reused for any pink seepage at the lower radiator outlet because U got me all worry wart now :confused:

is the pressure out at the bottom more than the pressure into the radiator at the top

Its probably the same throughout the cooling system once the engine gets up to temp.

Last edited:
is there a radiator tester tool out there?
i ought to check the radiator condition at this mileage

There's tester for the anti-freeze quality whether you have enough protection for cold temps. Other than that you can do a pressure test to the cooling system for any leaks. Usually with high mileage vehicles, if a flush doesn't help, they just replace the radiator, as most become partially plugged by that time.

top ones reused on my rig are ok after almost 4 years... no leaks no seepage
but i will monitor that bottom one reused for any pink seepage at the lower radiator outlet because U got me all worry wart now :confused:

is the pressure out at the bottom more than the pressure into the radiator at the top
A litle thing called physics requires that fluids move from an area of higher pressure to one of lower pressure. So the inlet has to be higher than the outlet. How much depends on what the pressure loss across the radiator is.

Anyway, that's what I learned about hydraulics in the four years prior to working in the shop.

Why America’s Largest Tool Company Couldn’t Make a Wrench in America​

A highly automated Texas factory was supposed to bring the manufacturing of Craftsman mechanics’ tools back to American shores. The $90 million project was doomed by equipment problems and slow production.​

im-821631

A Texas-made Craftsman ratchet from Stanley Black & Decker. The company said it was closing the Fort Worth factory 3½ years after breaking ground. EVAN JENKINS FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By John Keilman
Follow

| Photographs by Evan Jenkins and Cooper Neill for The Wall Street Journal
Updated July 22, 2023 12:01 am ET
TEXT
1008 RESPONSES
Listen to article
Length(2 minutes)
Explore Audio Center
The world’s largest tool company couldn’t figure out how to make a wrench.
Copyright ©2023 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Oh, they know how to make a wrench.

Its the cost of making goods in USA vs making goods off-shore that killed the move. Even automated process in USA is more expensive.

Would you buy that wrench at more then 2X the current price for a product made in USA? Most consumers wouldn't.

That is why goods are made off-shore. Think about it. When a McDs employee can receive $15/hour.......that inflated cost moves uphill to other employees then gets passed onto the consumer. Just try to find a 1/4 lb burger for less than $5.

My heavy duty ones are all air rotary tools. I take it you're looking for something more a hobbyist would need for light small jobs? I have a black&decker electric rotary tool, I've used for years cutting small notch's in metal, or wood, cutting small bolts...or grinding out intricate parts of components. Idk, about tackling any work bigger than that with some of these rotary tool shown. Maybe any of the 4 on the left would be ok.

I use a large wide screwdriver. Just make sure you take the master cylinder cover off first, and drain some brake fluid, before compressing the caliper piston in.

Back