2017 Toyota Tacoma transmission. Come on Toyota!!

Noticed last week when dealer did rev1 that its also coded as TC1601. So far so good using cruise in D with no 4th gear at 75mph problems. So far being the key words there. 1493570750573.jpeg

Just bought a 2017 2WD I4 SR last Monday. Had this problem the first 3 days of driving and it went away. Does still do it in cruise control though. Will definitely take it to have it serviced.

Went to the dealer today to talk to them about the transmission with and without cruise control staying in low gear with high revs. Talked about how I'm getting 12mpg in town and 15 on hwy. They seemed very concerned with it. Said they don't know why it's doing that but the TSB I had didn't fix it and at this time they have no fix for it. They are going to make an appointment and said something about possibly replacing the ECU.

Went to the dealer today to talk to them about the transmission with and without cruise control staying in low gear with high revs. Talked about how I'm getting 12mpg in town and 15 on hwy. They seemed very concerned with it. Said they don't know why it's doing that but the TSB I had didn't fix it and at this time they have no fix for it. They are going to make an appointment and said something about possibly replacing the ECU.
Uhoh.... I had Rev1 TSB completed a few weeks ago and seems to have solved the CC in low gear (4th gear at 75mph) issue. If you've had TC1601 REV 1 done, and still have the problem, maybe mine's not as fixed as i thought... If I experience it again, dealer will do a trade in for something else. Maybe a Tundra would be a better option if trade in is necessary..

Or17trd thanks for all the updates I have not updated the yaw. Plus I need all the same done to my truck with the tsb updates and differential fixed and transmission fixed with all the different shifting problems and clunking I am having on my TRD 2017

Or17trd thanks for all the updates I have not updated the yaw. Plus I need all the same done to my truck with the tsb updates and differential fixed and transmission fixed with all the different shifting problems and clunking I am having on my TRD 2017
You're welcome.
It's a bummer these are like that. Sorry to hear you are having all the same issues. I've been getting them fixed under warranty. They seem to like to do one thing at a time. My truck has been onto the shop 7 times now. Total of 11 days. Some issues have been fixed others we are still working towards. I'm hopeful by the end of the first year everything will be good.
I love my truck.
Make sure if you haven't already get a platinum VSA they will do up to 8yr 125k mile. Depending on your issues and how much you've been through. If you paid for one have them reimburse you. Also if your truck has been in the shop so many days they may be willing to pay a months payment.

Just had my dealer in Santa Fe do the T-SB-0077-16 update on my 2016 DC TRDOR and up/down shifting/hunting going uphill and with Cruise Control is not as bad...am actually getting about 1MPG better mileage too.

Just had my dealer in Santa Fe do the T-SB-0077-16 update on my 2016 DC TRDOR and up/down shifting/hunting going uphill and with Cruise Control is not as bad...am actually getting about 1MPG better mileage too.
Welcome to the forum.
Here is hoping it continues to move in the positive direction. Keep us updated on it after a few hundred and a few thousand miles.

Met with the regional tech today. Talked about the transmission holding 3rd gear at 4500 RPM's with and without CC.
He said the update TSB-0077 REV1 which I had done to fix the revers to drive delay changed the shift patterns from the frequent shifting between 4-5-6-5-4 everyone complained about and now it's made to hold the gear and high revs longer. That I should tap the gas peddle or brake to make the transmission shift. Uh?.
I said so drive in "S" mode if I don't like it. He laughed. said My truck is operating as designed.
These engines are new and the transmission is new and there is a learning curve. Customers are not use to the Atkinson/Otto intake system and all the actuators.
Still doesn't make 12mpg in town and 15mpg on the hwy 14 combined on a good tank feel better. I'd like a little closer to that 19/24 advertised. I'd be happy 15 in town and 19 hwy. 17 combined.
I was also told that having larger heavier tires the truck thinks it has load and will change how the engine operates.
I still think the YAW sensor and the PCM need to be reset. That's going to be my next attempt with them.

I asked about the bump after stopping. He had a name for it I can't remember what he called it. They know and are well aware of it. He said the bump after stopping was the drive line angle when the transmission is shifting down it will do that after stopping. Also normal.

No more attempts for me personally. Dont care it works as designed. It was designed ****ty, is ****ty, and 2 ****s dont make it ok. Its a faulty truck all the way around. In about 1 more year, i can get rid of it. First and last toyota for me.

Hey guys.

I am about to leave in 10 minutes to go look at a 2016 and 2017 Tacoma. Reading this thread has me a bit nervous! I have had nothing but success with Toyotas over the last decade. Have any of your issues been resolved?

Hey guys.

I am about to leave in 10 minutes to go look at a 2016 and 2017 Tacoma. Reading this thread has me a bit nervous! I have had nothing but success with Toyotas over the last decade. Have any of your issues been resolved?

See more about the issues on TW.

There you have it TDTHR3E. They ALL suck. Buy at your own risk. Might want to wait a few years so toyota can fix all of the problems. Im 18 months into my truck and every month or two another recall comes. Im personally done with toyota. Will be buying something else soon.

There you have it TDTHR3E. They ALL suck. Buy at your own risk. Might want to wait a few years so toyota can fix all of the problems. Im 18 months into my truck and every month or two another recall comes. Im personally done with toyota. Will be buying something else soon.
So weird to hear this with Toyota's pretty rock-solid reputation.

I left the dealer without buying. They didn't meet my numbers. I refuse to pay nearly $500/mo.

Yea. I agree. I bought a tacoma because of that belief that Toyota Tacomas run forever.... but am very disappointed with how it worked out. Just waiting until i can realistically trade or sell without losing big money. Oh, and 500/month seems cheap as im paying almost 600/mo. Haha

bchurch - same. I thought Toyota was the brand to beat. I will be surprised if this 16 taco makes it to 100 K miles without a major breakdown. My plan was to buy it and drive it till it dies. Now I am thinking I will unload it in about a year.

Back