2017 Toyota Tacoma transmission. Come on Toyota!!

Let me be more clear. Im on a flat highway. Cruise set at 75mph. Transmission flipping from 5th to 6th, back to 5th, etc. On the first small incline it downshifts to 4th gear. Then? Sticks right there in 4th and never shifts again if cruise isnt cancelled manually. 4th gear at 75mph is 4600rpms. So yea, its loud and definitely not working as it should. I have video of it but im cursing so bad in the vid i wont post it. My dealer saw it, but just has no idea what to do. Ive had both tranny tsbs done. No change. I can drive without using cruise control but it then is shift happy and shifts 4,5,6,5,6,4,5,4,5,6,5,6,5,6..... and on and on. Never stays in any 1 gear more than 3 seconds... kansas is flat. No hills. Life is short. Will sell/trade when im not so upside down. Eta 1 yr.
I dont get what your so upset about. It's cruise control. I've owned 3 3rd gen 4Runners, a Corolla and now a 3rd Gen Taco. They all hunt for gears in CC, especially on hills, regardless of elevation. To me it's a Toyota thing.

Could be worse, my wife's Hondas have just straight up turned CC off when you go up some hills.

Evenin all! Got home bout an hour ago. Drove the TRD to the Toyota dealership for the 0062-18 update. When I got there they immediately took the Taco into the shop. Bout 15 minutes later the tech came and got me and took me for a test drive. He wanted to make sure what he noticed is what I had noticed. When slowing down to between 30-40mph then going to accelerate there was a 'lag' or 'dead-spot' before it decided to take off. Was very subtle but was there.

The tech told me that was how Toyota designed the trannys and was for EPA criteria. We headed back to the dealership and he drove the heck out of the Taco. I thought my wife was a bad driver. LOL

Anyways, we got back and the tech, service mgr and I had a brief discussion. The tech was concerned that the 0062-18 update would take care of this 'lag' but was also designed for higher elevation use. He was concerned about how it would perform at our elevation. I told the tech and service mgr the ECM should compensate for the elevation. Tacos in higher elevations certainly come out of the mountains at some point and time. The service mgr agreed and said it should be fine.

The tech went back to do the upload/flash of the ECM. It took about 1/2 hour and they did a complimentary check of fluids, belts, brakes.....etc.....they even washed it for me despite the fact it was raining like he!! outside. LOL

On my way out of the dealership I noticed an immediate improvement in the shifting. The TRD seem to have the shift points different......gears tend to hold a bit longer than before. The upshifts and downshifts are smooth as butter. When reaching your desired speed in 5th gear a slight let-off of the accelerator put the tranny in 6th gear. Holding in 6th gear on hills is much improved. I have to say, this update is well worth the time at the dealership.

On the way home......(about 80 miles) I didn't notice any decrease in mpg........avg 23.8mpg on the way home.

Wanted to update everyone on this TSB and if you haven't done it........it's a definite improvement!

IMG_8350.JPG

Evenin all! Got home bout an hour ago. Drove the TRD to the Toyota dealership for the 0062-18 update. When I got there they immediately took the Taco into the shop. Bout 15 minutes later the tech came and got me and took me for a test drive. He wanted to make sure what he noticed is what I had noticed. When slowing down to between 30-40mph then going to accelerate there was a 'lag' or 'dead-spot' before it decided to take off. Was very subtle but was there.

The tech told me that was how Toyota designed the trannys and was for EPA criteria. We headed back to the dealership and he drove the heck out of the Taco. I thought my wife was a bad driver. LOL

Anyways, we got back and the tech, service mgr and I had a brief discussion. The tech was concerned that the 0062-18 update would take care of this 'lag' but was also designed for higher elevation use. He was concerned about how it would perform at our elevation. I told the tech and service mgr the ECM should compensate for the elevation. Tacos in higher elevations certainly come out of the mountains at some point and time. The service mgr agreed and said it should be fine.

The tech went back to do the upload/flash of the ECM. It took about 1/2 hour and they did a complimentary check of fluids, belts, brakes.....etc.....they even washed it for me despite the fact it was raining like he!! outside. LOL

On my way out of the dealership I noticed an immediate improvement in the shifting. The TRD seem to have the shift points different......gears tend to hold a bit longer than before. The upshifts and downshifts are smooth as butter. When reaching your desired speed in 5th gear a slight let-off of the accelerator put the tranny in 6th gear. Holding in 6th gear on hills is much improved. I have to say, this update is well worth the time at the dealership.

On the way home......(about 80 miles) I didn't notice any decrease in mpg........avg 23.8mpg on the way home.

Wanted to update everyone on this TSB and if you haven't done it........it's a definite improvement!

View attachment 20007

Does that apply to 18’s too?

That's a good question. I asked the same question to the service 6mgr.......he said the 2018 models can get the update if it wasn't installed at the factory when the truck was built....... I assume the 0062-18 program will be placed on models produced after July 17th but who knows for sure. the 2019 models will already have it installed.

View attachment 20007

Thanks for the update about the update. I’m going to take mine to the dealership in a month or so for the 5k change cause I can’t wait 10k on the first oil change. I will be sure to ask about the update. I only have 3400 miles on mine.

Thanks for the update about the update. I’m going to take mine to the dealership in a month or so for the 5k change cause I can’t wait 10k on the first oil change. I will be sure to ask about the update. I only have 3400 miles on mine.
The update is well worth it, G! You won't be disappointed!

View attachment 20007
Thanks for the update!

My exact question too. I notice that my 18 shifts A LOT better than the 17 did brand new. Noticeably better. It seems to shift at a higher RPM and not be so sluggish. I don’t know though. I’m still gonna see if I can get the update if it isn’t done.

Thanks for the update!

My exact question too. I notice that my 18 shifts A LOT better than the 17 did brand new. Noticeably better. It seems to shift at a higher RPM and not be so sluggish. I don’t know though. I’m still gonna see if I can get the update if it isn’t done.
Hopefully the info will help others! Bog, you might have the update......always possible Toyota released it for new '18 models before releasing it to the '16 & '17 models.

Hopefully the info will help others! Bog, you might have the update......always possible Toyota released it for new '18 models before releasing it to the '16 & '17 models.

My truck was built in March, 2018. The tsb was released in July before the truck was bought but I don’t see it in the service history so I’m assuming it wasn’t done. [emoji848]

View attachment 20007
Nice. My 2017 DCLB OR needs that.

My truck was built in March, 2018. The tsb was released in July before the truck was bought but I don’t see it in the service history so I’m assuming it wasn’t done. [emoji848]
I'd have to assume that also, B.
Nice. My 2017 DCLB OR needs that.
Definitely.....it made quite an improvement from what I can tell so far. When they update the ECM with this program they said the truck has to 'learn' your driving habits again. So, with the improvements I've noticed might even get better.....will have to see.

View attachment 20007
Ok, I'm not going crazy then when I noticed a big difference in mine too. Feels like a different truck!

Ok, I'm not going crazy then when I noticed a big difference in mine too. Feels like a different truck!
It does feel like a different truck! Prior to the update I was researching those that had gotten the update n they said it was n ECT-Lite. Id haf to agree with that. Much improvement.

I f
I finally drove my ass to Toyota because they wouldn’t return my calls. Made my appointment for Tuesday at 7 am. I have a 2018.

Back