2018 Tacoma safety sensor =No lift??

Alright, I just purchased a 2018 with all the bells and whistles and unless I'm missing something there is no reason the TSS-P should stop you from lifting the Tacoma.

1st item is it appears you can simply turn off all the sensors if you desire. Turning off the entire system, including active high beams, parking assist and active cruise control requires flipping half a dozen switches and/or settings

If you lift the truck and turn the sensors on the TSS-P may or may not work correctly as I have not played with it enough yet to see exactly what the sensors are reading.

Just for giggles when I get some time I plan to drive the truck up some 10" ramps and see how the additional height effects the sensors.

Anyhoo... that's my 2 cents after owning the truck for 24 hours.

I talked to some guys at the dealership about the TSS-P and mods. They say about the same thing, mods can mess it up but you can turn it off.
My only concern would be if you or someone that didn’t know about it would forget to turn it off. That could make for a dangerous situation, especially at highway speeds.
If I’m not mistaken don’t you have to turn it off every time you restart?

I talked to some guys at the dealership about the TSS-P and mods. They say about the same thing, mods can mess it up but you can turn it off.
My only concern would be if you or someone that didn’t know about it would forget to turn it off. That could make for a dangerous situation, especially at highway speeds.
Yeah the entire situation sounds like a PITA.

When you turn the systems off they are turned off and do not reset when you restart the truck.

I can already tell you some if the systems like active cruise control and auto high beams will not be hampered by a lift.

My experience to date tells me the TSS-P system will be a non issue in 6 months when it's better understood. I think Toyota is just covering their ass at the moment as the system has never been rigorously tested in lifted mode. I could be wrong

So I've been playing with my 2018 with the TSS-P system for the past week and I can tell you the system isn't going to make a **** of difference when you lift your truck. Everything should work exactly as intended. But I do understand Toyota not wanting to accept liability if you mod your truck.

They have a TRD Pro in the ‘18, so lift, at least to 3”, is not an issue. Toyota does not want the liability, that is a joke, 2017s and below don’t have that crap. This is like my Traction Control delete. Someone here will come up with a fix or turn it off. Took a while but I got a TC delete done, and it only took half of y’all, a bit of testing and an epiphany from the Toyota gods to figure it out...lol

They have a TRD Pro in the ‘18, so lift, at least to 3”, is not an issue. Toyota does not want the liability, that is a joke, 2017s and below don’t have that crap. This is like my Traction Control delete. Someone here will come up with a fix or turn it off. Took a while but I got a TC delete done, and it only took half of y’all, a bit of testing and an epiphany from the Toyota gods to figure it out...lol
Who’s they? Just curious. :)

Every vehicle in the States will be getting this safety standard with more to come in the near future. All vehicles are to have the brake assist by 2018 and by 2020 how i understand it what i was told all vehicles will have lane assist. It a regulation that was put in affect. So if anything needs to be disabled may have to learn to do it or find a mechanic that might just do it. Unfortunately the sensors in the gas pedal, since there is no throttle cable from the pedal to throttle body for all 3rd gen will continue. The lack of power and delay in acceleration or lose of power will continue. I work along side the marketing reps for the auto shows, they know more than dealers. The self driving car will be officially on the market sooner than we think and what they say. So if you know anybody seeking a off road vehicle of any manufacture I’ll say 2018 will be the last before the computers take over the vehicles fully. So if anybody wants a off road vehicle tell them to buy 2015 or older in tacomas.

Toyota is hoping people do so they can decline warranty work easier. If they say don’t modify this vehicle at all due to safety sensors and computer crap. You now take full responsibility of any malfunction of all systems that where effected by the modifications. Who knows how these new systems are connected.

This has nothing to do with trying to avoid paying for warranty work. In 2019, Toyota is making safety sense standard on every vehicle they sell. This technology is expected to reduce rear end accidents by 50% according to experts. I agree it sucks they have not come up with a way to calibrate it for a lift kit. They will come up with something soon hopefully. Drive on!

This has nothing to do with trying to avoid paying for warranty work. In 2019, Toyota is making safety sense standard on every vehicle they sell. This technology is expected to reduce rear end accidents by 50% according to experts. I agree it sucks they have not come up with a way to calibrate it for a lift kit. They will come up with something soon hopefully. Drive on!
I understand that. I also know if you go forth with modifications before they figure it out you’re taking full responsibly of anything that goes wrong with those systems. You’ve now modified the vehicle and those systems are compromised.
What other Tacoma info do you have? Seems like you’ve got the inside scoop on the haps. Welcome to the forum.
Let’s see some pictures of your taco.

When I ordered my truck the other day I asked about the lifting issue. According to the sales guy (take that for what it's worth) they have fixed the issue. You would need to bring the truck back to the dealer to have it re-calibrated for the new height, is all.

When I ordered my truck the other day I asked about the lifting issue. According to the sales guy (take that for what it's worth) they have fixed the issue. You would need to bring the truck back to the dealer to have it re-calibrated for the new height, is all.
Yeah, they told me the same thing a few weeks ago when I picked up my 18. Said even if you have it lifted elsewhere, that they'll still calibrate it for a small fee.

I want to know who has done this already and what their experience has been.
Yeah, they told me the same thing a few weeks ago when I picked up my 18. Said even if you have it lifted elsewhere, that they'll still calibrate it for a small fee.

Found the rims I wanted and 265/75r/16 tires on stock height. I think it’ll be ok.

How do the bigger tires affect it? Just took a 1100 mile trip in my stock 2018. On the interstate at 75 with the cruise set it barely wanted to shift out of 4th gear.

Back