Differential recall

My parts finally come in almost 3 months later. At least I got to keep my truck. I go in this week to have the rear diff fixed.

The mechanics at my toyota says the rear diff leak recall is a waste of time and minor if yours isn't leaking and if it is just fix it yourself cause it might be a few weeks to fix.

The mechanics at my toyota says the rear diff leak recall is a waste of time and minor if yours isn't leaking and if it is just fix it yourself cause it might be a few weeks to fix.
My leak wasn’t bad at all. I’ll let them fix it so they have record of it for any future failure.

My leak wasn’t bad at all. I’ll let them fix it so they have record of it for any future failure.

They did the bolt tightening fix before I bought mine. I’m just glad I was lucky and didn’t get held hostage like some did with their trucks at the dealerships.

Leased mine 2 months ago and still only has 400 miles on the odometer. I think it's to early to figure if mines going to leak or not Lol.

Hello all, new to the forum and glad to be here own a '17 SR5. I joined after googling the recall issue on my tacoma, I took it in after I received the recall notice and 3 months later finally got it back. However, after driving it for a week now I notice a significant vibration when I take off (at around 15-20 MPH)... Is this normal? Anyone else experiencing similar issues post recall?

Hello all, new to the forum and glad to be here own a '17 SR5. I joined after googling the recall issue on my tacoma, I took it in after I received the recall notice and 3 months later finally got it back. However, after driving it for a week now I notice a significant vibration when I take off (at around 15-20 MPH)... Is this normal? Anyone else experiencing similar issues post recall?
Is it stock or modified? Lift? Bigger tires?

Kinda depends on where it's leaking , if it's the pinion seal it's not that easy of a fix , is it just loose bolts around the 3rd member ? (as I recall they're not torqued all that tight, small nuts/studs)

Welcome to the forum. I haven’t noticed any vibration in my 17. Is there any modifications?

I’d take it back and see what they say. Maybe they forgot the oil :confused:

Trucks at the dealer getting the rear diff fixed :) 2017 TRD off-road DCLB. Not part of the recall but covered under warranty.

The more I think about this, I am not going to get my differential checked. I have 3500mis and absolutely no sign of leak. So if I take my vehicle in some mechanic is going to re-torque the bolts. That is a scary thought. Seen a whole bunch of not so good mechanics. Firm believer in it it is not broke, don't fix it...

M

Description
The involved vehicles have rear differentials that may leak oil. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the rear differential could become damaged, which can result in noise and reduced propulsion. In some cases the rear differential could seize, resulting in a loss of control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the rear differential could become damaged, which can result in noise and reduced propulsion. In some cases the rear differential could seize, resulting in a loss of control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
The remedy will involve an inspection to determine if a leak is present between the rear differential and the rear axle. If the vehicle has no signs of a leak, all fasteners will be re-tightened. If a leak is identified, the rear differential carrier gasket will be replaced with a new one, and new fasteners will be installed. If rear differential components are damaged, the rear differential carrier assembly will be replaced with a new one. This remedy will be at no cost to customers.

The more I think about this, I am not going to get my differential checked. I have 3500mis and absolutely no sign of leak. So if I take my vehicle in some mechanic is going to re-torque the bolts. That is a scary thought. Seen a whole bunch of not so good mechanics. Firm believer in it it is not broke, don't fix it...

M

Description
The involved vehicles have rear differentials that may leak oil. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the rear differential could become damaged, which can result in noise and reduced propulsion. In some cases the rear differential could seize, resulting in a loss of control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this condition, the rear differential could become damaged, which can result in noise and reduced propulsion. In some cases the rear differential could seize, resulting in a loss of control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy
The remedy will involve an inspection to determine if a leak is present between the rear differential and the rear axle. If the vehicle has no signs of a leak, all fasteners will be re-tightened. If a leak is identified, the rear differential carrier gasket will be replaced with a new one, and new fasteners will be installed. If rear differential components are damaged, the rear differential carrier assembly will be replaced with a new one. This remedy will be at no cost to customers.

I can definitely see your point. But if they break it they got to fix it.
You can retorque the bolts yourself also. That’s basically all they’ll do if there is no leak.
Either way though, anything that goes wrong with the rear diff Toyota is basically going to be responsible for.

I can definitely see your point. But if they break it they got to fix it.
You can retorque the bolts yourself also. That’s basically all they’ll do if there is no leak.
Either way though, anything that goes wrong with the rear diff Toyota is basically going to be responsible for.
Especially at this point.

Back