Differential recall

Hi all. I'm a journalist covering trucks and SUVs and we've been following the differential recall story. Recently I spoke with several Tacoma owners who shared stories of their difficulty getting parts, and even having their trucks held on dealer lots for months while they wait (and still have to make payments). We received comment from Toyota about the problems and included them in our latest story. Search for "Tacoma Owners Bristle as Toyota Takes Their Trucks" and it will come up -- I'm not able to post links yet.

I'm happy to hear any of your experiences as well. If you'd prefer to reach out to me directly my information is at the bottom of that article. Thank you.

Just curious, I know nothing about 4-runners. Do they share the same differentials with Tacos?
I dont believe so but cant confirm my belief yet... with engine and tranny being different than the new tacomas, i assume rear end is different too. I traded my taco due to transmission issues. The diff leak just sealed the deal for me. 300 miles on new 4Runner and am enjoying a well sorted vehicle.
8b9d53eeb4d789c6d8589fa6982bcca3.jpg

I just bought my truck last week. It's a demo that had 11000km on it and I had to go out and look and guess what I found20170723_231825.jpg

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and see what they tell me. I like my truck to. I had so many plans and ideas for it. I hope their able to fix it fast. All them hostage stories are scaring the **** out of me.

I just bought my truck last week. It's a demo that had 11000km on it and I had to go out and look and guess what I foundView attachment 12032
Sorry to see that. Welcome to the club. Seepage looks about right. Take it back to the dealer. Be prepared for them to keep it for a month :mad: or... torque the bolts down to 18 ft lbs for off-roads and 33 ft lbs for all differentials without the rear locker. Check it regular and keep your truck and wait until they actually have a fix for it.

I just bought the truck last Monday never even put gas in her[emoji34] it was a demo with 11000km. If they give me a rental I'll be happy as long as they fix it and I'll ask for that extended warranty or I'll ask for my money back

I just came from the dealer my truck isn't on the recall list and I showed them the wet looking spots they said probably from being assembled and they said I have a upgraded pod which u don't know what it is. So they retoqued the nuts to factory specs. While I was there i ordered roof rails $470 plus new mats $150. I'll still keep an eye on the diff and any changes to that wet spot I'm going back to the dealer.20170723_231825.jpg

I dont believe so but cant confirm my belief yet... with engine and tranny being different than the new tacomas, i assume rear end is different too. I traded my taco due to transmission issues. The diff leak just sealed the deal for me. 300 miles on new 4Runner and am enjoying a well sorted vehicle.
8b9d53eeb4d789c6d8589fa6982bcca3.jpg

What kind of deal did you get for it?

What kind of deal did you get for it?
Anytime you trade in a new vehicle or 18 month old vehicle, there is no "deal". I was a bit upside down on the truck at the time of trade in. But dealer paid the note off and im in a 4runner for $40 more per month. I can live with it. :)

Anytime you trade in a new vehicle or 18 month old vehicle, there is no "deal". I was a bit upside down on the truck at the time of trade in. But dealer paid the note off and im in a 4runner for $40 more per month. I can live with it. :)
The dealer offered me $35k on my 2017 OR DCLB had 3000 miles on it... but that was their first offer and I wasn't in the mood to entertain.

The dealer offered me $35k on my 2017 OR DCLB had 3000 miles on it... but that was their first offer and I wasn't in the mood to entertain.
I was unhappy with my Taco. Decided it had to go. I would have traded it for any number of other vehicles. GMC Truck, Chevy half ton, etc. I decided to approach my toyota dealer and fully explain why i was unhappy, the problems ive had with the tacoma, etc and give them a chance to make it right. I then explained to make it right would mean they have to pay off my tacoma free and clear, then put me into a similar 4runner model. I am in a 2017 TRDOR 4Runner now. Has everything my Tacoma had as far as steps, addons, roof rack, black out package, etc. So feel like it was an even trade. 4runners are a bit more expensive than Tacoma but close enough for the numbers to work for me. Im happy. Toyota is not a bad company. I just got a bad one the first time i bought a toyota. Toyota makes an unhappy customer happy again. And am sure the salesman will make more money from me in the future. As the 4runner will not likely be the last toyota i buy. [emoji2]

Has anyone been able to have their payments taken care of while their truck sits on a dealership lot? My rental was a minivan. Every time I go to exchange the rental all they have is small cars. I'm very unhappy with the way that toyota has handled this situation.
I was willing to swap the truck but they weren't willing to work with me and the trade value. Low balled a KBB offer of 23,500.
I'm glad your dealership was willing to work with you but mine definitely wouldn't.

My 2016 taco has been at the dealer now for 103 days. I took it in April 29 and ever time I call they say it's going to be 4-6 weeks. Does anyone know how I can get toyota to make my payments? Thank you for the help.

My 2016 taco has been at the dealer now for 103 days. I took it in April 29 and ever time I call they say it's going to be 4-6 weeks. Does anyone know how I can get toyota to make my payments? Thank you for the help.
Contact corporate get a case worker and demand it. If that doenst work threaten an attorney if that doesn't work actually get one.

What part of the country are you in?

Seriously? Man, I wish I would have seen this before yesterday.... Just bought my 2016 TRD Sport used with 38k on it. Guess I'll go check now... I'm gonna be so pissed if there's a leak...

Back