Sputtering at 50-60 mph

Phone​

Phone: 800-331-4331

Mon-Fri: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. ET
Sat: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET

TTY/TDD Users: Dial 711, then request the operator dial 1-800-331-4331
Yep, that is the exact number I call. Option 2 for English, Then option 8 because I have an open case.

It sounds like what you're saying, it is a torque converter issue. No way should it become worse over time in a truck with only that much mileage. I'd be hoping they replace the transmission. Some claim running several tanks of 92 octane gasoline cures the issue....until you go back to 87. I have yet to experience anything like that in my 2020, so it's hard for me guess what's going on.
The service tech said of Toyota says it’sa torque converter issue, then they replace the transmission also

It sounds like what you're saying, it is a torque converter issue. No way should it become worse over time in a truck with only that much mileage. I'd be hoping they replace the transmission. Some claim running several tanks of 92 octane gasoline cures the issue....until you go back to 87. I have yet to experience anything like that in my 2020, so it's hard for me guess what's going on.
Next gas I’m putting 92 (or higher?)

The service tech said of Toyota says it’sa torque converter issue, then they replace the transmission also
Yeah, it's all replaced as 1 unit.
As far as the fuel grade...been said to need a few tankfuls before you'll notice a change, if any. I tried to see if 92 octane would give my truck more power like others have claimed, but all it did was make my truck run worse with a black sooty exhaust tip. Took 3-4 tankfuls to do it. Truck runs really great on 87.

Yep, that is the exact number I call. Option 2 for English, Then option 8 because I have an open case.

i used option 7
because the parts website portal is down for days
need to check on orders and order parts
was on the phone for 45 minutes with zero resolution from their cyberTech team

i used option 7
because the parts website portal is down for days
need to check on orders and order parts
was on the phone for 45 minutes with zero resolution from their cyberTech team
I would think you would have a special hot line to toyota by now....

Higher Octane will only resist pre-detonation, engine Knocking or pinging.

It won't give you more ponies under the hood. Although, it will make your wallet lighter.

Engines have been computer controlled for many years effectively eliminating engine knock and cold start issues and squeezing more power and mpg.

Go ahead, burn the 92 or 97 octane. It won't do any good. It may do damage.

It won't give you more ponies under the hood. Although, it will make your wallet lighter.

Engines have been computer controlled for many years effectively eliminating engine knock and cold start issues and squeezing more power and mpg.

Ok, not doing that now lol. Maybe off a cliff may fix it.

Focus on the Trans troubles. When resolved, if the problem persists, then work the next set of diagnostics to identify and isolate the cause. After that you stand a chance to solve the issue.

It's a pretty complicated problem on these gen3 trucks why some run great while others run sub par. Been lots of theories why not all of them come out tuned the same at the assembly plant like a cookie cutter vehicle. I think part of it comes from the way these trucks are initially driven during the transmission's learning process. I was instructed by my dealers service manager to only use the D mode during this process, and not any S modes, or ECT for at least 1k miles which I didn't. Plus there's been another issue with owners claiming a dead spot in the first 20% or so of the go pedal...which is the fly by wire type, no throttle cable. Somehow I think it's related to this performance issue on some trucks. When I use my gas pedal, its extremely responsive, and very linear as it's used, not needing a power commander as some have recommended for theirs.

Last edited:

These 3.5 engines are suppose to have variable ignition timing , and variable valve timing controlled by the ecu to respond with more hp on higher grade fuel octane's.
Personally I didn't experience any with my engine. It seems to like 87 just fine. All our fuel grades are E10 blended, so maybe thats the reason here.

It's a pretty complicated problem on these gen3 trucks why some run great while others run sub par. Been lots of theories why not all of them come out tuned the same at the assembly plant like a cookie cutter vehicle. I think part of it comes from the way these trucks are initially driven during the transmission's learning process. I was instructed by my dealers service manager to only use the D mode during this process, and not any S modes, or ECT for at least 1k miles which I didn't. Plus there's been another issue with owners claiming a dead spot in the first 20% or so of the go pedal...which is the fly by wire type, no throttle cable. Somehow I think it's related to this performance issue on some trucks. When I use my gas pedal, its extremely responsive, and very linear as it's used, not needing a power commander as some have recommended for theirs.
That was something else I was when trying to narrow down why some are like this. How were they broke in? I did mine exactly like the owners manual says. Sounds like you did too, so I guess that theory is out.

I’m leaning more towards the Mexico plant being the problem like, I think, you suggested before.

Back