The BS Thread To Rule Them All!!!

A/C capacitor stopped working. Unit kicked on but the fan wouldn’t spin until I spun it. Then it would stay on until it shut off and kicked on again. Thank god it’s only 75 tomorrow and 82 Saturday, 87 Sunday. Amazon 2 day $13 should be here Sunday. Suppose to get 95 again Monday. A/C repair guy would charge about $160 to replace and some would try to tell you the compressor was out...
$13 an 8mm socket and about 10 min. EC76F410-3932-42B1-942F-17417366322B.jpeg

A/C capacitor stopped working. Unit kicked on but the fan wouldn’t spin until I spun it. Then it would stay on until it shut off and kicked on again. Thank god it’s only 75 tomorrow and 82 Saturday, 87 Sunday. Amazon 2 day $13 should be here Sunday. Suppose to get 95 again Monday. A/C repair guy would charge about $160 to replace and some would try to tell you the compressor was out...
$13 an 8mm socket and about 10 min. View attachment 20063

That sucks it went out. It’s great that it’ll only be a $13 fix though.

Mornin Scott! I gotta werk tomm am yet so the weekend is gonna be late for me. Already at the office gettin ready to head west to satellite office today. You have a great friday n be safe!

Good to know! A little knowledge goes a long way. I'll add this to my library. Thanks OR!

Yup, common call this time of year. "My AC just all of a sudden stopped blowing cold! HELP!!!" Sadly, there are many companies out there that will advantage of the situation. I also check the contactor while I'm in there, 2 little philips screws and look for an excess amount of soot around the contact points. Also a cheap part that'll save a little strife in your life later down the road. Then mix up some Nu-Brite and spray down the outside of the coils, let it get foamy while you take the top off and get the water hose and rinse outward. Once the coils are pretty dry, then it's time to hook up gauges and check freon level. If the indoor coil needs to be cleaned it'll be obvious to the guy reading the gauges, head pressure will be high. This should all be included in the $75 service call fee plus capacitor and contactor, usually ends up under $150. I hear of much worse prices for a service call and they don't even take the few minutes to clean the units. Don't waste $ on expensive filters if no one in the house has allergy problems. Change the filter every time you pay your power bill, if you have pets inside, more frequently is recommended. G-day sir!

Last edited:
Back