The BS Thread To Rule Them All!!!

Gen Y kids are what is considered "Millennials" [emoji23] but I agree, Gen Z or maybe later Gen Y kids seem to be what all the ruckus is about. My Pops worked me too hard to have time to cry about anything when I was a kid. Haha

Haha. That’s what I was thinking. Gen Y are millennials.
Same here dude. No time for whining with my folks. Grew up working all the time.

You’re like me. I was born in 83. I don’t consider myself a millennial in the least. I wasn’t raised like these powderpuffs anyway.
Haha. That’s what I was thinking. Gen Y are millennials.
Same here dude. No time for whining with my folks. Grew up working all the time.
Gen Y kids are what is considered "Millennials"
emoji23.png
but I agree, Gen Z or maybe later Gen Y kids seem to be what all the ruckus is about. My Pops worked me too hard to have time to cry about anything when I was a kid. Haha
Confessions of an Xennial :D

What's up everyone I thought I would pop a question about a problem I ran into the other day on an antique. Here it isIMG_4831.JPG

If anyone has worked on these at all I would greatly appreciate your help as I don't even know which fill hole is for what on it. I have never touched an engine like this and it is new to me. Thanks

Last edited:
What's up everyone I thought I would pop a question about a problem I ran into the other day on an antique. Here it isView attachment 20279

If anyone has worked on these at all I would greatly appreciate your help as I don't even know which fill hole is for what on it. I have never touched an engine like this and it is new to me. Thanks
Maybe some more pictures could help us figure it out?

What's up everyone I thought I would pop a question about a problem I ran into the other day on an antique. Here it isView attachment 20279

That’s a pretty cool find.
It’s called a “hit and miss” motor if I’m not mistaken. They were used for everything from running saws for a mill to running a washing machine.
Basically any belt driven product could run with it.
Sorry, I don’t know anything about working on them. They should be pretty basic and pretty hard to kill considering they were used for so many tasks.

Seeing your post made me curious to do a little digging and research online. I’ve seen a couple of these in running condition and always thought they were so cool.
I’ve never really researched them any though. They were made up through WWII.
I found this link to an owners manual for them with a cut away and operating instructions:
http://ed-thelen.org/Ardenwood/J-Deere-Instr-Type-E-OperationInstr&PartList.pdf
And I found this article about the complete history of them down to the serial numbers so you can track the age of yours:
https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/the-john-deere-model-e-gasoline-engine

I hope this helps you get it back to running condition. Keep us updated with your progress. I’d love to see a video of that old engine cranking.
Now I want one to play with. Lol. This might be a future purchase for me someday to rebuild...[emoji848]

Morning everyone. Bogunn and crawdad I will keep you guys updated on that engine it will probably be a long project because parts are pretty hard to run by and are expensive. It is a Waterloo 1.5hp at 600rpm so I can track its year of production to 8 years which is cool. I pulled the igniter "that's right it doesn't have a spark plug" and found out someone took it apart and did something wrong after looking at online pictures and also installed it upside down. What would you guys want to see pictures of it I don't mind taking a couple later today and other days when I work on it.

Mornin Nick! That JD was a good find! Wish you lived closer to me as here in Clay Center they have Old Trusty Days n those engines are all over our fairgrounds running. Lotsa folks who know how to keep those engines running!

Ok bman well if you go to it it would be great to get some good sources on who makes good parts for them still and anything about running them if you could. I don't really like the fact the intake doesn't have an air filter on it so if you see one that does snap some pics for me of anything unique. If you don't go don't worry about it

I’ll see if I make it to it. Father in law had a couple. Durable engines. That top resorvoir was for water to keep it cool. Gotta spins those flywheels to get the spark to get er to run. They are a challenge but really fun.

Yep I knew about that you had to spin the flywheels to start it and that they don't have air filters but where we live it is kinda dusty so I would like to keep stuff away from the intake even if I just do a small screen to keep stuff from getting sucked in and to keep insects out because we have tons of bugs here too. Thanks for your help

Here's a video on the 1 1/2hp engine......these engines were made for the farm and fields.......

Back