Why do Tacomas get poor gas mileage $

When that screen shows up u should be able to scroll up or down with the arrow buttons on the steering wheel ? No? play around with the buttons and on different screens there is all kinds of stuff hiding in the dash LOL :)

Last edited:
i-TGHFnM5-L.jpg

I did a trip from Boston to Salisbury Ct when picking up my new tacoma from the dealer with less than 1 mile on it . Just used the regular drive mode trying to keep it under 70 mph while on I 90. When i got home, checked the current trip fuel milage...was 23.1 mpg. Noticeable improvement over my last truck of 17 mpg average for a trip like that.

Cant hate that ! And a fellow New Englander to boot! Its a pretty good difference in performance even on highway to go from normal mode then hit the ECT button it wakes it up quite a bit .
I've only used the ECT and S5 mode towing my boat on the local roads here doing 45-50 mph. Still averaged 18 mpg, With an empty truck at those speeds, I've seen nothing worse than a bit over 22. Really happy with the truck so far.

Just came in from filling up my 2020 v6 auto, and calculating the numbers from my last fillip. It came to 23.8 mpg, slightly better than the dash gauge the truck registers. This was some in town, but mostly 50-60 mph secondary highway roads. Never once use ECT, however I did use of the S mode to save on the brakes down hills when needed. Truck had only light loads, no towing.

Pretty good mileage!
I thought so.
ECT is a little more fun experiment with it ! :)
I suspect ECT really won't do anything for me if just driving an empty truck, except hold the shift points/rpm longer, plus it'll likely result in poorer fuel economy. Truck already runs really well in the D mode, transmission downshifts buttery smooth when it senses any load, and upshifts when needed.

Back