a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

I'm sure they have many new parts. Just comers down to if one is willing to keep repairing a tired vehicle, or buy a newer one. Is it worth what you can sell it to someone adding in all the costs needed to repair it, or do you have some sedimental attachment to it, that your willing to keep fixing whatever it needs?

newer vehicles are not always 'better' vehicles

that Gen2 tacoma my relative has comes to mind...

i looked into a GMC Canyon because i think they look sharp AF
BUT! when i tried to reach into the bed my arms would NOT bend down at all the elbows just stayed straight because the bed rails are too damn wide for I to do that so i just shook my head and kept on walkin'

@claytongillaspy8847

2 years ago
They don’t make Toyota’s like that anymore now there overpriced and overly complex what happened to Toyota? Just like gm I guess success and greed and they got complacent we’ll look at gm today there full size pickup trucks are junk lots of problems unreliable only ford is making a good pickup along with Toyota’s tundra and Chrysler? Junk junk junk

this quoted from a youTube posting under my peer's video on prior post

Many of the changes you're complaining about are being driven in the FVMSS.

All new vehicles have this nanny driver gadget stuff. Get used to it or get fixing your worn out ride.

You claim pulling wrenches on the Gen1 is ezpz, so why don't you get busy to sort and repair? I know grumping about it is easier than fixing, but words don't fix mechanical things.

On the other hand. You can keep driving it. Sooner or later, the truck will have a breakdown to likely leave you stranded in the boonies. Then you'll have towing fees, forced repair at a non-preferred shop, escalating frustration........costs will spiral.

I had a gen1 tundra I thought so highly of for years, till it needed costly repairs. I kept putting off buying new till I saw covid coming to a city near me. Maybe thats what it takes, but made up my mind to drag my ass to a few dealerships to look at new trucks. As said the nanny bs is here to stay. The insurance companies pushed it. You'll lower your insurance rate when you buy a new truck. My brother has a spare astro van thats old with no nanny crap. He was floored when he got his latest bill. The insurance company told him thats the reason why....no nanny features.
Getting back to my tacoma, i turned much of the nanny stuff off, or desensitized it from alerting me. I've gotten to really enjoy the truck now. I've forgot the tundra. The taco is better.

I had a gen1 tundra I thought so highly of for years, till it needed costly repairs. I kept putting off buying new till I saw covid coming to a city near me. Maybe thats what it takes, but made up my mind to drag my ass to a few dealerships to look at new trucks. As said the nanny bs is here to stay. The insurance companies pushed it. You'll lower your insurance rate when you buy a new truck. My brother has a spare astro van thats old with no nanny crap. He was floored when he got his latest bill. The insurance company told him thats the reason why....no nanny features.
Getting back to my tacoma, i turned much of the nanny stuff off, or desensitized it from alerting me. I've gotten to really enjoy the truck now. I've forgot the tundra. The taco is better.

i do not believe that lower insurance at all
at some point i was told by my agent that the cost of insurance on the new vehicle are quite a bit more because of ALL the safety garbage in the front area that would need replaced upon front end collision, and those safety sensors are very expensive

i did look at newer trucks compared to mine
and they are too cotdamn big and very cheaply put together as it appears with that Gen2 my relative has
then there is the style, zero style buttass ugly front
i can barely reach the check engine oil dipstick on that Gen2 over the grille and the transmission stick is a royal pain of a reach

Suggest you step away from 4wd. Consider looking at AWD or RWD trucks. Honda Ridgeline, Ford Maverick and others in similar size and category.

Perhaps your physical situation is contrary to owning a mid-size 4wd truck.

Suggest you step away from 4wd. Consider looking at AWD or RWD trucks. Honda Ridgeline, Ford Maverick and others in similar size and category.

Perhaps your physical situation is contrary to owning a mid-size 4wd truck.
My cousin that recently passed away had a Ridgeline. It sucked if going on anything, but a maintained dirt road. Kind of tells one something when a vehicle doesn't even have a full frame.
I guess you can always go with something like a maverick too.

1685972715547.png

looking into replacing the carrier (center support) bearing
37230 on diagram
its a pricey part, almost or over 200$ 294$ MSRP

but can get it from UAE megaZip for 147$ + 21$ international shipping

McGeorge in VA wants 197$ + shippN

1685972894475.png

Last edited:
Toyota makes those prices extra high so you keep buying new. Granted they're good quality parts, but the smart owners know when to say when. You want to keep dumping parts into an old tired vehicle, be prepared to have deeper pockets than most.

LMAO
you've never had a Gen1 Tacoma, obviously

get involved with the Gen1 community and yer eyes will open up wide wide wide
its a lifestyle

i saw them dealer techs gawking as i wheeled it on out of the shop after getting refused a simple estimate of time involved on a new rack so that i may keep on truckin' with zeroFCKS
truck is as old or older than many of them youngin techs looked to be

Gotta git them tires rotated balanced, bad wheel checked, and git some new tires priced to make it to 400k

Don't get brainwashed by others claiming those tacoma's will go forever without repairs. Every truck even these will need constant service once they get over 250k miles. I heard all sorts of claims how the gen1 tundra was the great one, yeah great till around 250k miles, and in your pocket every month for something else thats worn out.

many so many on TW are getting these obscene miles
many popping up with 400k+ and several over 500k miles now

Last edited:
but! the truck has ALL kinds of original parts still besides the clutch and rack
starter
alternator
radiator
ac
three wheel bearings
half of the exhaust + cat
o2 sensors
rear brakes

Last edited:
Back