Bed bolts are loose again ... Gen 2

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 349k on the 0D0
I thot I had tightened to 60ftlb spec 2 months ago
And they are loose again
Bed rattle bad over the bumpy trail

Put some red loctite on them their bolts, and torque them down. You'll need the torch to loosen them up.

There appears to be a lot of issues with them bolts
I read through some of the tw link l

Torch on plastic composite ???

Ahh....geezzz..

Use a BLUE loctite. DO NOT use the RED 271 loctite. The red is permanent. High heat is required to break it. Generally, the red 271 is used on Grade 8 high strength fasteners. Fasteners less than Grade 8 will twist off before the thread breaks loose, this when heat is applied "melt" the red 271.

You can use a torch to loosen these bed bolts. Apply the heat to the steel nut on the frame side.

it may be more than just 'loose bolts' upon further research, although the bodyshop i asked at yesterday (that is a Toyota place) had not ever heard of the loose rattle beds in these gen2 trucks so they told me to goto the dealer and see what they have for knowlegde to fix this a$$inine rattle over every little bumpitybump, but not all bumps, which really confuses I

this is a known problem it appears on the Gen2 defective

have U looked into this much at all?

No, truck doesn't have rattle problems.

Instead of the bed, have you by chance looked at the heat shields on the exhaust? These have a tendency to come loose and rattle on bumps.

My Gen2 had some odd rattles that I was not able to track down. One day as I was crossing some RR tracks, one half of a heat shield jumped off my truck. Stopped to retrieve it. Then about 3 miles later the other half followed suit. Stopped to retrieve it. The fix was a few minutes under the truck with a couple of bolts and locknuts.......rattle gone.

i can see if i am able to reach the heat shields with my limited range of motion

but it sure sounds like the bed is jumping around on the front passenger side and i just torqued that bolt 2 months ago, they were all loose way below specs taking at least a 1/4 turn for the wrench to tick at torque spec

Ahh....geezzz..

Use a BLUE loctite. DO NOT use the RED 271 loctite. The red is permanent. High heat is required to break it. Generally, the red 271 is used on Grade 8 high strength fasteners. Fasteners less than Grade 8 will twist off before the thread breaks loose, this when heat is applied "melt" the red 271.

You can use a torch to loosen these bed bolts. Apply the heat to the steel nut on the frame side.
Yeah blue is better, but you'll still need heat to remove the bolts. Still you have wonder why those bolts are getting loose. I've not seen it happen.

No, truck doesn't have rattle problems.

Instead of the bed, have you by chance looked at the heat shields on the exhaust? These have a tendency to come loose and rattle on bumps.

My Gen2 had some odd rattles that I was not able to track down. One day as I was crossing some RR tracks, one half of a heat shield jumped off my truck. Stopped to retrieve it. Then about 3 miles later the other half followed suit. Stopped to retrieve it. The fix was a few minutes under the truck with a couple of bolts and locknuts.......rattle gone.
My tundra never had a rattle in the nearly 19 years, and 300k miles I owned it. So far my gen3 tacoma is just as good.

so the yotatech i asked about this issue at the shop has NOT EVER HEARD of loose bed rattle in these Gen2 tacos

i said its a common known problem... just type it into a search and all kinds of goodies pop up about the bed rattling

even a YouTube video showing the loosey goosey problem under there

then no way is this noise from heat shields
this noise ain't no little rattle rattle
its a bang bang heavy noise
bed bouncing on the frame is what the research leads to
i checked the spare tire and it feels secure

are there ANY known issues with the spare tire mount on Gen2?

the Gen1 taco had a recall on the spare tires mounts 20 years ago because they would rott and fall apart which meant nothing to secure the spare tire it would just fall onto the roadway

could also be the bumper that's been hit a time or two and pushed in
but the noise sounds like its coming right behind the rear slider window

Last edited:
Checked at the yota dealer

There is absolutely No TSB on their records of the bang bang

This issue usually happens at lower side street in town speeds

Back