Bed bolts are loose again ... Gen 2

I checked all six bolts again with that torque wrench
ALL of them were still torqued to spec from the tighten 2 months ago

Still not sure whut the banging over small bumps is arghhh

Maybe the shock is worn and banging, it is original at 12 years and 72k miles

You're using TW as a good source of information????? good grief.....anything is game so support your points.

Look close at how the bed is attached to the frame. I believe there is a steel spacer for the bolt to pass thru. This will keep the overzealous monkey from crushing the plastic bed support.

Good Luck finding your solution.

Loose unsecure hard heavy plastic items inside the 2 most rear cubbie pockets, and or the doors to those pokcets
Emptied those compartments along with the cover doors, threw them in the cab on passenger floor, then went at it over some of the worst bumps in the area I was in and no more banging!! back there like it had been

So, crap rattling around in the storage cubbies.

There is a lesson here.
Not all noises are caused by the most complex repair.

Glad you found the source and executed an effective repair.

Oh yes indeed it is so much nicer without the obnoxious noises lol

I am going to wrap those items in bubble wrap and ziploc bag and stuff them back in there,
They appear to be spare tiedown hooks that slide onto the bedrails

Didn't even know those trucks had any bed storage cubbies at that time. All mine had were some storage area under the extra cab seats.
My 2020 tacoma came with a bed storage compartment, but I haven't use it yet.

Maybe this truck needs some new TRD-grade rear shocks to stop those from bouncing and banging around?

Just new kyb shocks will be more than good. A buddy had bilsteins in his trd. They were nothing special. I liked the factory kyb's better.

Just new kyb shocks will be more than good. A buddy had bilsteins in his trd. They were nothing special. I liked the factory kyb's better.

i put KYB rear shock on my gen1 taco and IDK...
there are still issues

at least it appears to be much simpler to replace rear shocks on Gen2 than Gen1
unless the wheels have to be completely removed on Gen2 to get at 'em

Not all kyb shocks are created equal. They have different models. Idk, if you can even buy the original kyb shocks that came on Toyotas at the time, other than thorough toyota. I think the aftermarket ones are different, and don't perform the same.

So the bed bolts all checked to proper torque

Yet there seems to be something odd bouncing around again back there on the RHS and near the front behind the cab

Whatever todo now!??

Back