Bed bolts are loose again ... Gen 2

12-12-2o23

So the bed bolts all checked to proper torque

Yet there seems to be something odd bouncing around again back there on the RHS and near the front behind the cab

Whatever todo now!??

think we Finally found the pesky rattle issue this rig has been having
only took six+ months to find it :confused: and Stop it

i am curious if the Gen3 can rattle rattle at the spot this Gen2 was found to rattle over minor bumpies
Gen1 can definitely not rattle at this particular spot

My truck hasn't a single rattle, or squeak when driving on these bombed out Iraqi streets going to my shop....it's just as sound as my tundra.

I had a rattle on my Gem2. Didn't take long to find it and fix. It was a heat shield above the CAT on the Driver's side. Mount points are completely gone. Can't complain, its been on there since 2006.

The fix was to remove it. One day, I'll replace it.

Heat shields usually rot off around 10 years....happened on just about every toyota pickup owned once cats were used. When I start to hear that rattle every time you press the go pedal, I'll get under there and finish the job....no more heat shields.

Hey all, I haven't read thru all the replies to this post, but the all the talk about tightening the bolts and using loctite and all that... you guys obviously have not really fixed this issue in the past. If you had, you would KNOW it's has nothing to do w/the bedliner bolts being tight enough.

What follows is an email I sent out to friends when I fixed my rattle, a year or so ago. And YES, mine is rattling again. This isn't an ideal OEM design, so unfortunately it seems that this 'fix' has to be done again and again.

================================================

attached are pics are of the bolts that hold my bedliner down.

so when the truck was almost out of warranty, like a few years ago, i took it to Toy dlrship, cause there was this loud bump-bump coming from the back, and i didn't kno what it was. thought maybe my shocks were bad or suttin

turned out it was the bedliner. but the dlrshp, they didn't REALLY fix it.
they just tightened the bejesus out of the bolts. it stopped for a few months, thatz it. those bolts were so GD tite, even w/the breaker bar, i could barely crack them.

as U can C, it don't matter how tight i make the bolt, cause the bushing sticks up, and will still keep the washer off the liner, and the plastic gonna bang up and down anyway.

before i took them out, i thought the fix was gonna B simple - add another washer or two. but when i got the thing off, i realized that wasn't gonna do it. then i considered grinding the bushing down so the bolt/washer would contact the liner more flush. but my bench grinder ain't set up for that and i didn't feel like changing out the wheels.

But then...
1721922035748.png

i realized, that bushing is split for a REASON. all i gotta do is pry it apart, then stuff it back inna hole! tried w/a couple pair of pliers but it's way too stiff for that. but a chainsaw wrench, the flathead screwdriver w/T-handle socket wrenches on other end, was perfect. T-handle gave the perfect twist to stick the blade in the slit and torque that mother open.

then i compressed it a bit w/a visegrips so i could bang it back in the hole.
DONE. no more bump-bump, and no reason to make the bolts crazy tight.

my plan was to also take the entire bedliner out, clean under it, and put a protective coat of wax down. but O man, that thing does NOT come out easy. wen i saw wat's involved taking it out? i said, 'i'll take the zero'. :D

(the T55 torx bit i had to buy. didn't have any torx that big)

Attachments

• truck-bedliner-bolt-bushing.JPG
    truck-bedliner-bolt-bushing.JPG
    699.6 KB · Views: 2
  • breaker-bar.JPG
    breaker-bar.JPG
    921.4 KB · Views: 2
Toyota leaves a bit of a shoulder there, so when one cranks can down those bolts tight, and not worry, otherwise if they didn't, you can end up cracking the composite bed by getting them too tight.

Back