is this nothing more than just surface rust?

Indiana '96 Taco... just sold on BaT

1996_toyota_tacoma_1996-Toyota-Tacoma-For-Sale-250-94548.jpg

1996_toyota_tacoma_1996-Toyota-Tacoma-For-Sale-247-94531.jpg

Usually with coatings as such that are non healing that's the result. It will get far worse. Think of painting over rust. Its going to bubble, and flake away while the rust spreads like cancer.

Usually with coatings as such that are non healing that's the result. It will get far worse. Think of painting over rust. Its going to bubble, and flake away while the rust spreads like cancer.

That fuel tank shield was thoroughly sand blasted before powder coated almost 4 years ago!
I have to remove it again sometime later this year and use some other type of paint onit

Powder coating won't prevent rust if you drive in the rust belt with salty roads. You'd still need to apply some type of rust inhibitor over it, and keep on it. Even cosmoline only goes so far. If I can get another year, or two from the cosmoline job on my tacoma, I'll be happy. It sure beats fluid flim every 6 months.

Powder coating won't prevent rust if you drive in the rust belt with salty roads. You'd still need to apply some type of rust inhibitor over it, and keep on it. Even cosmoline only goes so far. If I can get another year, or two from the cosmoline job on my tacoma, I'll be happy. It sure beats fluid flim every 6 months.
I reckon some road rocks gravel bounced up there and cracked the coating. I try to wipe it down once and awhile to check it's condition
I've seen those tank shields get very rotted and fall off!

The engine shield on my 93 4x4 pickup looked real nasty 7 years later. I never coated or repainted it black. Salty roads are death to steel.

Those things are pretty much history here. A friend had an 01 when i bought my tundra.....the salt ate his frame away leaving holes bigger than you could put your fist through. I was coating my tundra at the time with fluid flim to slow down the rust on my tundra, with him saying how i needed to having a rice burner.....big bad dakotas don't need any of that stuff,their made from american steel. I had the last laugh years later.

i always thot the old Dakota frames were much better made than Tacoma! ... just their mechanicals were total crap after a long period
ford Ranger must be the best, i still see them everywhere with rust coated frames nothing snapped broken that i am aware of

There's still a few of the older rangers on the road here...mostly from around 05 or later. Salt favors no one.

i always thot the old Dakota frames were much better made than Tacoma! ... just their mechanicals were total crap after a long period
ford Ranger must be the best, i still see them everywhere with rust coated frames nothing snapped broken that i am aware of
Ford Rangers are still around because they spent a lot of time parked due to breakdowns.

That section holds the rear bumper o_O
...don't know of that trucks location

Back