is this nothing more than just surface rust?

~ 9 years and 252k miles in MA

do these guys not ever wash and rinse routinely underneath it all as best they can
check on them drain holes for blockage

from 2o10  '01  9yrs in MA  252k miles in 9yrs.jpg

from 2o10    '01  9yrs in MA.jpg

Ontario Canada
5yr old replacement frame
Claims to have been routinely undercoated twice a year

DEF34B52-44F6-466E-9CAD-F07F1A229FD0.jpg

i think Toyota did absolute NO salt-spray testing in their labs whilst developing the protective frame coating used...

i think Toyota did absolute NO salt-spray testing in their labs whilst developing the protective frame coating used...
What protective coating? They sourced their frames from Dana who sent them out only with black chassis paint. Toyota just stuck their cabs, and beds on them. Its only the latest gen3 tacoma's toyota is finally doing a bit more on these frames in the problematic sections.

whatever black coating they use on the steel frame that is supposed to keep it from rusting

its not yer normal chassis paint for sure from my experimenting with eastWood chassis paint for the past several years

that previous picture is of some buteful work done by a Yota body shop some 20 years ago when they reskinned the driver door after some Denver lady made a Uturn right into me whilst i was sitting parked at a red light :(
its the only time i recall being hit by another driver!

Eastwood chassis paints are nothing special, they're just paint, like John Deere chassis black paint. The toyota black frame paint is just thicker, but its still paint.

Back