oil pan leaking??

Imo, a truck of that age would never see a toyota dealership. Try an independent shop thats gets good recommendations.

for routine maintenance or specific related repairs? ... one dealer WILL let me bring in my own OEM bot parts, so that is a plus+++

i have asked them dealer service advisors how many of these old Gen1 trucks they still see come in for service routine
not many! LOL
a few or five a year one advisor told me

i live close(ish) to Colorado (500 miles) where these old Taco are all over the roads still

Rock! are you saying you want to trade trucks?
Ummm.....you wouldn't like my truck.

Its white, has the hood scoop, access cab, AT, 4.0 L V-6, everything works, no reason to grump.

aaaannnnnddddd......I aint dead. So NOPE.

ya, white is kinda off-putting LOL

is that hood scoop functional ?

ya, white is kinda off-putting LOL

is that hood scoop functional ?

Purely decorative.

Of course, some add raptor lights to the scoop grill work, some carve out the hood underneath thinking they are making a CAI.......some complain it blocks their view (must need to sit on a New York phone book to see over the dash)

Me, I just like the appearance over a flat hood. Adds a little more character.

The white has advantages. It doesn't show road dirt and heats up a little less under sun blaze.

Simple trick........don't bury it in snow.

I have not lost the truck yet...............even though the last snow/wind event did build a 3 foot deep drift around the truck.

My wheels are a dark gunmetal grey. :p:p:p

I saw a gen1 taco in perfect condition here a few months back. Other than that their getting like unicorns.
tell me more about it!
the last time I was in Chicago a couple months ago i stopped in for some taco juice at a BP while the snow was flying and the roads completely salted
caught this young lass 20 something gawking my way when i pulled in
then she hopped out of her crusty car and demanded to know what year my truck was so i took her around the back
she said there is literally NO RUST onit
its refreshing to see that 25 years of keeping things clean as possible during the winter have paid dividends
just gotta keep on top of it all... just hoping this fuel tank will be a relative easy uncomplicated removal from underneath it all this spring/summer

if there is an oil weep at the pan at what mileage between OIC would it be most noticeable on the dipstick
i routinely check the level, will do it later today, there is about 3k miles on this current engine oil

The mileage to notice on the dipstick will depend on the severity of the leak.

It is normal for gasket to weep a bit. But a warning sign is when the area is wet.

so far no drips on the driveway! BUT i stuck my hand up on top of the skid shield and there is sloppy oily grit dirt and sand, like those sloppyshop monkeys don't even clean it when they take it off change filter and cannot put it back up securely properly, its all droopy and crooked
but it could also be the Canadian undercoating gel sprayed into that area, it also attracts dirt and sandy

so far no drips on the driveway! BUT i stuck my hand up on top of the skid shield and there is sloppy oily grit dirt and sand, like those sloppyshop monkeys don't even clean it when they take it off change filter and cannot put it back up securely properly, its all droopy and crooked
but it could also be the Canadian undercoating gel sprayed into that area, it also attracts dirt and sandy
That slop left there helps to prevent the engine skid shield from rusting.

That slop left there helps to prevent the engine skid shield from rusting.
it definitely has spots, had that powderCoated as well a few years ago and its flaking :confused:
but the deep glossy black underneath there does make all the difference in appearance compared to the original coating that was weathering harsh

I had sprayed the engine shield on my truck with you guess it...cosmoline rp-342. It may not appear very spectacular looking, but it's not going to rust.

the yota tech marked my rig down as having an oil pan leak from this pic taken

IDK... i do spot a pink coolant leak at that lower radiator hose area clamp ... Do U C it?

oil pan leak is a thing on gen1 3.4, a guy with a '95.5 in NY had to have his pan resealed a few years ago i recall... he also had a rusted pan iirc

View attachment 34749

pink spot was red wet the last time i hobbled under to peek at it :confused:

Last edited:
I can tell you toyota is still having some issues with the coolant cross over pipe, and their timing cover sprouting leaks on their 3.5. Both are major jobs to reseal. I guess there's no rhyme, or reason why some engines have this issue, and others don't, other than the way these robots assemble them.

Back