Task: fuel tank removal -- Gen1 taco

might attempt this removal later this month when schedule clears up a bit

Still building that truck one piece at a time? Its going to be the most expensive 97 tacoma in the country.

Still building that truck one piece at a time? Its going to be the most expensive 97 tacoma in the country.
I think my man tacoJohn in Denver with that 97 v6 singlecab supercharged and 740k miles is still in control there :oops:

I think my man tacoJohn in Denver with that 97 v6 singlecab supercharged and 740k miles is still in control there :oops:
Generally supercharged engines have a shorter life, especially if not originally designed to be one. No way would one last over 700k miles.

I think the infamous 740K truck has mileage on chassis only. The running bits are likely replaced at regular intervals.

The only vehicles designed for that level of mileage are semi-tractors. Even then there is extensive maintenance at specific intervals.

Another words...everything has been replaced at one time or another more than once to keep an old truck running over 700k miles. I just don't get what the whole deal is. When all said, and done, you've spent a ton of money, you'll never recover, only to have an old truck with a ton of miles worth only what someone might give you for it. Myself I'd invest all that cash where its going to make you money, not spend it.
When I buy a truck, I buy it to work like a truck when needed, not to see how many miles I can put on it. I'd get a car for that like a hybrid honda or prius.

Generally supercharged engines have a shorter life, especially if not originally designed to be one. No way would one last over 700k miles.
his HG did go out in the 450k range and he just got an engine with about 100k put into his rig

the other OG out there in the SE with over 700k that got Tboned in the past year and was NOT totaled
i am not sure if its the original engine on their rig and trans but I am thinking that it IS lol

Last edited:
Another words...everything has been replaced at one time or another more than once to keep an old truck running over 700k miles. I just don't get what the whole deal is. When all said, and done, you've spent a ton of money, you'll never recover, only to have an old truck with a ton of miles worth only what someone might give you for it. Myself I'd invest all that cash where its going to make you money, not spend it.
When I buy a truck, I buy it to work like a truck when needed, not to see how many miles I can put on it. I'd get a car for that like a hybrid honda or prius.

he said at 1 million miles he is entitled to an all-new tacoma from Toyota for reaching the milestone
this is what his dealer in Denver told him on occasions
the 2nd Gen guy with over 1 million somewhere in NC was also offered that deal AFAIK

40k + for a new truck is a sh!ton of benjamins LOL

Last edited:

welcome to the Gen1 Phenomenon
you'd have to be a part of it to know anything about it i suppose
i was there at the very start of things :)

he said at 1 million miles he is entitled to an all-new tacoma from Toyota for reaching the milestone
this is what his dealer in Denver told him on occasions
the 2nd Gen guy with over 1 million somewhere in NC was also offered that deal AFAIK

If the "free" truck at 1M miles isn't in writing, then it is just vaporware.

Sounds like he will just need to purchase the "all-new tacoma".

Shoot, I'm entitled to an all-new Tacoma any time I want.....mileage don't matter.

If the "free" truck at 1M miles isn't in writing, then it is just vaporware.

Sounds like he will just need to purchase the "all-new tacoma".

Shoot, I'm entitled to an all-new Tacoma any time I want.....mileage don't matter.
Dam, you stole my next post. I'm at at a loss for words now, but toyota should give me a new truck for being a loyal customer since 1978.

40k + for a new truck is a sh!ton of benjamins LOL
Yeah, but you at least have a new truck with a warranty, and good resale value for years to come, not an old 20+year old rust bucket you spent $20k in parts, and repairs over the years thats worth only as much as the next guy will ofter you. If one keeps spending all his savings on vehicle repairs instead of investing it, they're going to end up with nothing. Vehicles depreciate soon as they are driven off the lot, not a good investment to keep down the road. I keep them as long as they owe me nothing. I never got attached to a piece of metal.

Back