Task: fuel tank removal -- Gen1 taco

Yeah, but you at least have a new truck with a warranty, and good resale value for years to come, not an old 20+year old rust bucket you spent $20k in parts, and repairs over the years thats worth only as much as the next guy will ofter you. If one keeps spending all his savings on vehicle repairs instead of investing it, they're going to end up with nothing. Vehicles depreciate soon as they are driven off the lot, not a good investment to keep down the road. I keep them as long as they owe me nothing. I never got attached to a piece of metal.
Welcome to the gen1 phenomenon :)
They stopped depreciating a number of years ago it appears
Topend almost back to 26 year ago MSRP believe it or believe it not
it's unreal lol
But truth it is

Welcome to the gen1 phenomenon :)
They stopped depreciating a number of years ago it appears
Topend almost back to 26 year ago MSRP believe it or believe it not
it's unreal lol
But truth it is
Again, it all depends on what that someone is willing to pay you. I'm just sure as rain you have tons of people are lining up that can't wait to buy those trucks.

Again, it all depends on what that someone is willing to pay you. I'm just sure as rain you have tons of people are lining up that can't wait to buy those trucks.
You are talking about rain in Aridzona.......

Something I've always jonesd to have. A 25 yo pickup that has more ills than a nursing home with over 250 kmiles. When can I write the check? for how much? and to who?

Prolly have to pay the scrap man to haul it out of the driveway.

you have to find that right someone :)

somebody or two or three told I that this is the method

check the 7:57
absolut clusterF

52:42 the reinstall

Last edited:
You gotta do what you gotta do.

i cannot risk doing that to mine and have an 'uncovered mishap'
then heard something banging when they took that tundra bed off, i think it hit the bumper or the backside of the cab :oops:
and then there is the trying to put it back on proper and square, again without an 'uncovered mishap'
52:42 in that video

Last edited:
well that damned powdercoating had done on the fuel tank skid protector shield only lasted 4 years :(
got under the rig yesterday and many areas of peeling with rusty crusty spot popping up all over the place
perhaps we give that POR-15 a try when it comes off and can get it cleaned and prepped proper

its whut it was from in June 2o19

'97 lower shield powdercoat.jpg

Last edited:
Imo, powder coating isn't practical for a chassis thats driven everyday....it's an another waste of money. Just cosmoline it, and redo it when needed.

Imo, powder coating isn't practical for a chassis thats driven everyday....it's an another waste of money. Just cosmoline it, and redo it when needed.

back in 2o19 when researching the deWeathering project i thot the powderCoating was the bees knees!

i am also having issures currently with the cosmoline deWeathering from last year
its flaking peeling in a real bad way inna area i was hoping it would stick well but its not :confused:

Powder coating needs bare clean metal that has been washed and prepped with the correct procedures and chemicals.

The powder is a "plastic" like material that bonds to a clean surface when subjected to heat to "melt" the powder.

Unless the surface is bare metal that has been properly prepped with the powder applied and heated under the correct conditions.......then the coating will fail in time.

I've had issue with coil springs powder coated. When quickly compressed and rebound, some areas of the powder coating on the coils look like they were shot at leaving good size paint chips.
back in 2o19 when researching the deWeathering project i thot the powderCoating was the bees knees!

i am also having issures currently with the cosmoline deWeathering from last year
its flaking peeling in a real bad way inna area i was hoping it would stick well but its not :confused:
Powder coating can be better than paint, but you need to know what environment, and what it's going to be used on. Sometimes its just cheaper to use a good epoxy type paint.

Back