The BS Thread To Rule Them All!!!

do you approach those other riders that choose not to wear a helmet and tell them exactly this what you are saying

what kind of reaction are you getting from them?

What they wear or don't is their choice.

If they ask why I wear, then I will share my viewpoint and rational. I will not get into a heated argument on this subject. Generally, all the discussions I've had in the past have been civil and open. Many of the "reasons" offered to not wear a helmet are easy to debunk or disprove.

Most times simple questions will take the wind out of the no helmet discussion.
1. What does wearing a seat belt do for you in an accident?
2. Did you play football in high school? If so, why did you wear a helmet?
3. Do you work construction? If so, why do you wear a hard hat?

As always, in any safety type discussion, someone will cite the extreme example to support their point. Typically, the offered example is an extremely unlikely occurrence.

My most hard-boiled discussion was concluded with a question. Would you like to be hit in the head with a brick wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet? Now, imagine the brick impacting your head at 30 mph. The point was clear.

a seatbelt can TRAP you in an accident ... its only worth putting one on at certain speeds and not the round the town crap at 35mph
if car catches on fire, you need to get out quick
but the buckle is malfunctioning and you cannot get it undone whilst the car keeps burning
you sit there helpless, unable to remove seatbelt as it gets hotter and hotter and hotter
same scenario if submeged in water and you're buckled in not able to get it off you to escape

a seatbelt can TRAP you in an accident ... its only worth putting one on at certain speeds and not the round the town crap at 35mph
but the buckle is malfunctioning and you cannot get it undone whilst the car keeps burning
you sit there helpless, unable to remove seatbelt as it gets hotter and hotter and hotter
same scenario if submeged in water and you're buckled in not able to get it off you to escape

Ahh.....there are the first of the extreme unlikely occurrence examples to support NOT.

Most car accidents occur at 35 mph or less. Steering wheels and air bags have a poor taste.
Few cars ignite.....well Tesla (or a '77 Ford Pinto) is becoming like a Ronson Lighter in an accident .
Please cite the rate of a seatbelt buckle failing to release post accident. The frequent issue is the occupant has panicked to place tension on the belt, thus locking the release mechanism.

Irony of all.......Your examples are without merit applied to motorcycle helmets.

What they wear or don't is their choice.

If they ask why I wear, then I will share my viewpoint and rational. I will not get into a heated argument on this subject. Generally, all the discussions I've had in the past have been civil and open. Many of the "reasons" offered to not wear a helmet are easy to debunk or disprove.

Most times simple questions will take the wind out of the no helmet discussion.
1. What does wearing a seat belt do for you in an accident?
2. Did you play football in high school? If so, why did you wear a helmet?
3. Do you work construction? If so, why do you wear a hard hat?

As always, in any safety type discussion, someone will cite the extreme example to support their point. Typically, the offered example is an extremely unlikely occurrence.

My most hard-boiled discussion was concluded with a question. Would you like to be hit in the head with a brick wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet? Now, imagine the brick impacting your head at 30 mph. The point was clear.
I wouldn't be here posting this had I not worn a helmet when racing my bike. Suffering a bad concussion was still better than the alternative.

It's the mere possibility of vehicle fire
I see torched cars trucks on the highway everynow and then
Hoping the seatbeltcame undone for them to get out in time

now all of the bikers on their way to Sturgis rally can go through the NE sandhills with no helmet if they so choose instead of driving around through western Kansas into Colorado or through IOWA all the way to South Dakota border and head west

all new day has arrived for all of them
June 10 starts bike week at Laconia this year in the northeast. We use ride up there when I didn't have any major race events on the schedule.

It's the mere possibility of vehicle fire
I see torched cars trucks on the highway everynow and then
Hoping the seatbeltcame undone for them to get out in time
Hmmmm...... That around town crap at 35mph, if hit head on, would be like doing 70 into a solid rock wall. And, who does 35mph around town? Most are 40 to 45, a few 50 to 55.

Even at 35mph, a small hit will knock your butt out of position of the driver seat enough to make you lose control of your car, not to mention possibly making your arms and definitely your legs fly.

For under $10, you can allay your fears of being trapped.
Seat belt cutter from Amazon, click me!
Yes, they do work amazingly well, and quickly.

Oh, one other thing... Only 0.3% of those that were thrown clear of accidents were uninjured. Three-tenths of one percent. Out of 1,000 people, only 3 are uninjured. 81% of those thrown clear, 810 people out of 1,000, died. That leaves 187 people, out of that 1,000, with some type of injury. Maybe, just maybe... But the odds are against being in that 0.3%.

I am in need of a crooked bent flattip screwdriver 90degree or so

Do they make such a thing

Plus, that Taco looks to be a gen1, so no side curtain airbag. If it were a newer gen, and had the curtain airbags, they would have deployed as those Tacos have a roll senser to fire those off. That little RSCA switch on Tacos that have those airbags will turn them off if you plan on getting your Taco at some steep angles.

tire tread depth did not change much in 14k miles since last rotate + balance
its like it was never wheeled that amount o_O
could plausibly get 120k+ miles on them michelins

Back