What did you do to (or with) your truck today?

Nothing much wrong with that deck vs some of them here I've been over. Heck there's city streets near my shop in way worse shape than that.
this is a MAJOR infrastructure with interstate commercial traffic from Chicago to San Francisco

it should be in exceptionally GOOD CONDITION

in the middle of the winter with the truck traffic you should SEE all of the icebergs laid out on this bridge from the trailer bouncing and knockoff of that accumulated snowpacked mudflaps coming in from Wyoming making it Slick AF and i have seen accidents from spinouts because of this

Get on your hotline to mayor pete that you been claiming to have.
Other than that, washed my filthy truck yesterday for about the 2nd time this year. As usual it rains the next day.:(

Today, my truck was a concrete hauler and assisted in pouring a pad for the AC unit.

Then later it was an Ice cream truck and helped me find a chocolate milk shake.

Next weekend it will be a storm debris hauler making runs to the landfill with fallen branches, logs, brush, dead trees......

Following weekend, it will be hauling destruction debris to the landfill.

Its a working truck, not just running up and down on highways.

Got those tires rotated at DT
Falken WP on the gen2
42k miles and treads measured at 7/32s
NOT gonna make 100k miles on those :mad:

IMG_20240620_114908_158.jpg

Last edited:
To
Got those tires rotated at DT
Falken WP on the gen2
42k miles and treads measured at 7/32s
NOT gonna make 100k miles on those :mad:

To my knowledge those are not 100 Kmile tires. More likely 60-70 Kmile. If you want a long-distance tire, then look to Michelin Defenders. Not cheap but will run many many many miles.

Those Falken WP are using 1/32" of tread about every 3800 miles. Tread wear bars surface at 2/32", meaning you only have 5/32" left or roughly 19,000 miles. You'll make the mid-60s at most before you need to replace.

FWIW, I installed a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/70-17 just before Thanksgiving 2023. Mount, balance, disposal, tax, rubber.....out the door just over $1500. Not much more than TireRack's price on a set of 4 Falken WP, then you get to have them mounted.

Oh my! 60k is all?

They were excellent in the city snowpack
Michelin defenders mtx would be good to look into some more

Oh my! 60k is all?

They were excellent in the city snowpack
Michelin defenders mtx would be good to look into some more

Expect less. As the tire loses tread, the outside diameter shrinks, so does the tire circumference. So, the tire will need to make a few more revolutions per mile. Accelerating the wear.

The tires have already consumed about 11/32". They began at 18/32".

I used my Tacoma to go to Home Depot to buy a new expansion tank for my water heater. The story…

Thus morning when I went to take a shower I noticed an issue. When I first turned the water on nothing came out, then water came out, but the water pressure was low. I investigated the problem to find the expansion tank for the water heater had ruptured and was shooting out water.

I had to shut off the water to my house, turn off the water heater, power down the furnace and crack open the overhead garage door to help it dry out.

After work I bought a new expansion tank used it to replace the old one.

The old one is on the left. It’s not supposed to look like that.
2zguHQ3vVi7GjPCSKU9if7.jpg

To

To my knowledge those are not 100 Kmile tires. More likely 60-70 Kmile. If you want a long-distance tire, then look to Michelin Defenders. Not cheap but will run many many many miles.

Those Falken WP are using 1/32" of tread about every 3800 miles. Tread wear bars surface at 2/32", meaning you only have 5/32" left or roughly 19,000 miles. You'll make the mid-60s at most before you need to replace.

FWIW, I installed a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S 265/70-17 just before Thanksgiving 2023. Mount, balance, disposal, tax, rubber.....out the door just over $1500. Not much more than TireRack's price on a set of 4 Falken WP, then you get to have them mounted.
So here's my dilemma Rock; when my 4th gen TRD Sport 4WD 6-MT BlueCrushMetallic finally arrives here in Texas (still waiting :rolleyes:), my oldest son and I will gift each other's pickup trucks under Texas and Florida law. Great, we both avoid paying sales tax and he gets a 2020 Taco and I get his 2016 Taco as the trade-in for my 4th gen.

However comma the tires on BigBlue are nearly bald. I have run tires down yester year where the wires are showing. He has a near new set of General Grabbers (white letters out) with around 10,000 miles.

I can not and will not make the round trip to Florida, (16hr 30min 1,122 miles) on bald tires so would a guy spend the money on the cheap end (PepBoys $671 + tax) or spend the $1,500 money as you said.

If I go the cheap route, I drive to Florida and have Discount Tires take his General Grabbers and put them on BigBlue when I get there.
Or,
Do I go the expensive $1,500 route and he keeps the new tires that are already on BigBlue ?

And Anybody and everybody chime in coz ya ain't gonna hurt my feelings.

1718933140167.png
1718936398038.png

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
So here's my dilemma Rock; when my 4th gen TRD Sport 4WD 6-MT BlueCrushMetallic finally arrives here in Texas (still waiting :rolleyes:), my oldest son and I will gift each other's pickup trucks under Texas and Florida law. Great, we both avoid paying sales tax and he gets a 2020 Taco and I get his 2016 Taco as the trade-in for my 4th gen.

However comma the tires on BigBlue are nearly bald. I have run tires down yester year where the wires are showing. He has a near new set of General Grabbers (white letters out) with around 10,000 miles.

I can not and will not make the round trip to Florida, (16hr 30min 1,122 miles) on bald tires so would a guy spend the money on the cheap end (PepBoys $671 + tax) or spend the $1,500 money as you said.

If I go the cheap route, I drive to Florida and have Discount Tires take his General Grabbers and put them on BigBlue when I get there.
Or,
Do I go the expensive $1,500 route and he keeps the new tires that are already on BigBlue ?

And Anybody and everybody chime in coz ya ain't gonna hurt my feelings.

View attachment 46576
View attachment 46578
you are driving that rig at nearly or OVER 100mph on baldies ?????

To

I once had a set of Michelin's on my tundra....said never again. They sucked in snow, plus they never made 50k miles before needing replaced. Imo, they're overpriced, and overrated. Some of the best tires I had were Firestone destinations, and generals when it came to driving in snow..

you are driving that rig at nearly or OVER 100mph on baldies ?????
Well it didn't start off that way. The plan was to receive my new 4th gen Taco back in September 2023 (like the Toyota Corporate Press Release said) then drive to Florida on good tires to do the exchange with my son's Taco. But the delayed roll-out of the new Tacos screwed up everything. Now I'm forced in the position of buying a set of new cheap tires or a set of new expensive tires ASAP.

Well it didn't start off that way. The plan was to receive my new 4th gen Taco back in September 2023 (like the Toyota Corporate Press Release said) then drive to Florida on good tires to do the exchange with my son's Taco. But the delayed roll-out of the new Tacos screwed up everything. Now I'm forced in the position of buying a set of new cheap tires or a set of new expensive tires ASAP.

it Never Does Start Off That Way
LMAO

i think you can make that long wheel IF you keep your speed down
how is that spare tire?
how many miles are on these tires again?

If you want a super cheap tire that works well in most conditions go to Walmart for some linglong crosswind tires....just don't expect much over 30k miles of thread life. Its what I stuck on my old tundra before selling it.

how is that spare tire?
If you want a super cheap tire that works well in most conditions go to Walmart for some linglong crosswind tires....just don't expect much over 30k miles of thread life. Its what I stuck on my old tundra before selling it.
Jat - Spare tire is brand new and it's just not in my DNA to to drive the posted speed limit on the Interstate system when 85-100 mph gets me there faster. I've got 38,000 on these Toyo Open Country A30 tires.

Joel - Walmart was just a few bucks cheaper than Discount Tire. Pepe Boys gave me the best quote 0f $671 plus tax. And yes, these are probly 20,000-30,000 mile tires…..

Can't say about pep boys, or discount tire, there's no local dealers nearby to get quotes, but there's enough other tire dealers here to choose from if you want something much better.

@TexasBigBlue Suggest you ask your son what he wants to do about the tires. Afterall, it will be his truck. Ask if he'd pony up half the cost of whatever tire he wants on the truck.

I certainly wouldn't drive it.

You could rent a Penske truck with a car hauler. Put the Tacoma on the hauler then drive the whole thing to FL.

how is that spare tire?

Good Lord that is horrible and dangerous advice. Get caught in a rain storm be ready to hydroplane into the ditch or under the semi next to you.

@tacojoel I've had superior results running Michelins on my motorcycle, truck and the wife's car. Last thing any married man wants is for the wife to be stranded with a bad tire. You'll be called out on a rescue mission, then when the rescue is complete you'll forever hear the woe of wife being stranded. I can only offer my experience with Michelins. I've had other brands, always disappointed in one way or another.

Back