a new chapter begins... the road to 400k

many so many on TW are getting these obscene miles
many popping up with 400k+ and several over 500k miles now

If you believe everything they're not telling you what had to be replaced. I call bs on that list. There's probably 3 times as much other stuff that wasn't listed.

a gen1 Tundra is not a gen1 Tacoma
not in any way shape or form

had i wanted a big truck i woulda got a T100, which actually cost 1000s more than my Taco did at the time

If you believe everything they're not telling you what had to be replaced. I call bs on that list. There's probably 3 times as much other stuff that wasn't listed.

yes, i have yet to see anybody that has had an odd issue with the crankpulley that launched into the moving engine fan one day much to my dismay

a 600$ part + 150$ to install
did get the part on discount OEM so actually about 435$ for that crucial part that was misdiagnosed by the Yota slopShop as the clutch bearing

a gen1 Tundra is not a gen1 Tacoma
not in any way shape or form

had i wanted a big truck i woulda got a T100, which actually cost 1000s more than my Taco did at the time
The gen1 tundra used many of the same components as the gen1 tacoma of those years. It's one of the reasons the brakes failed far more often. Drive train throughout was very similar.

yes, i have yet to see anybody that has had an odd issue with the crankpulley that launched into the moving engine fan one day much to my dismay

a 600$ part + 150$ to install
did get the part on discount OEM so actually about 435$ for that crucial part that was misdiagnosed by the Yota slopShop as the clutch bearing
My 1986 4 banger shear a key on the crank timing gear destroying the crankshaft at 70k miles. Toyota sent the dealer a new crank free of charge, and picked up the entire repair cost....truck was way out of warranty at the time, but they did it for good will, as our family bought a number of Toyotas in the past.

1686309812499.png

Thats where mine was leaking also. I had to change the rack when the steel body itself finally had two holes rust through it. I was using Lucas steering rack stop leak for it for a few months, till it totally went. When I changed the new rack, it was all aluminum, no more steel body.

Those rebuildable gas shocks are big dinero's

things need smoothed out :oops: they aint nevva gunna fix the broken roads around tacomaHA

a little bridge i wheel over many times a week looks in danger of buckling and collapsing, the hump is steep caved upwards

they be just too damn busy fixing the other bridge that was likely in danger of buckling and collapsing

One year on a snowmobile bag trip while coming to the outskirts of la'tuque quebec, we had to stop while this school bus full of kids drove over this one lane half ass bailey bridge. The bridge was swaying about 3' left to right as the school bus drove to the other side. We just watched in disbelief as the kids on the bus were laughing, and screaming at the same time.

Last edited:
@JayQQ97

I have said before. Your suspension troubles are likely deeper than just a simple set of shocks. No matter how good they claim to be or how high the cost.

Shocks are only 1 piece of a system. Their purpose is to dampen the spring rebound. Springs support the weight. Bushings allow movement and isolate vibrations. Torsion bars control body lean in corners. Each part has a purpose. If a part is failing or has failed, then the whole system is compromised. Then you have the complexity of the steering with UBJ, LBJ, tie rods, steering system....... Lets not forget the bushings that support the cab. All these parts wear and age.

Consider, the truck is over 300 Kmiles. Have you done anything to the suspension besides throw shocks at it during these 300???

Its probably time to park the truck and begin solving issues and replacing worn parts.

i have taken this truck in for regular dealer service routinely over the decades since the very first oil and filter change in Alton IL at 1000 miles
nothing has ever been mentioned not once about replacing worn parts on their multi-point inspection so i assume all is good
do they even check anything critical???
its sickening at times!

i have taken this truck in for regular dealer service routinely over the decades since the very first oil and filter change in Alton IL at 1000 miles
nothing has ever been mentioned not once about replacing worn parts on their multi-point inspection so i assume all is good
do they even check anything critical???
its sickening at times!
Most shops will not go any further then fixing what you're complaining about. You tell them you need new shocks, or an oil change...thats all they will do. Don't expect them to come out, and tell you there's a lot of issues in your truck needing immediate attention. You need to initiate the complaint.

The "Multi-point Inspection" is to check the easy things for UPSELL potential.

Why do you thing they check the cabin filter? 5 minutes labor + $14 part= $50 invoice. This is not a vehicle critical item.

Seems like we have been over this ground before..............

Remember how assume is spelled...

Ok so here's the ishhhh...

On well-paved buttery smooth roads, such as I am now on husker state route 2 sandhills journey heading west, the truck handles well almost like new no issues

On rotted-to-crap unmaintained roads it's hellacious anymore which brings me down down

Back