time for an upgrade from the Yota rear shocks...

You are correct. The manual does not detail every single step or technique.

Sometimes, a mechanic needs to think about the next step.

ok. how about this for the banging i kept hearing

is it the Front Spring Bumpers on the LCAs that keep rapping on the front crossmember

how would one test that?

Jack it up ,,move tire around see what's going on
critter, i just don't know much about this stuff!

are the spring bumpers supposed to make contact with the crossmember after bumps all of the time, some of the time, most of the time, none of the time....

:confused:

critter, i just don't know much about this stuff!

are the spring bumpers supposed to make contact with the crossmember after bumps all of the time, some of the time, most of the time, none of the time....

:confused:
Not all the time ,,,check and see if bushings are cracked ,,hard ,,smashed

Not all the time ,,,check and see if bushings are cracked ,,hard ,,smashed

control arm(s) bushings?

i gave the knuckle some good up and down motion by hand when i had the front shocks and swaybar links undone
it seem to move freely and fluid up and down but i don't know what to look for
was it TOO easy up and down shaking the knuckle fast and hard hard

I peeked at the visible part of the driver UCA bushing
It does appear to be cracked and one side might be missing a chunk of rubber
o_O

Last edited:
@JayQQ97

Please step back....take a deep breath. Solve 1 issue at a time. Realize it is very hard to run diagnostics from a remote keyboard.

I strongly urge you to visit a shop that handles front end work. Not some fly by 4x4 shop. Those guys mostly just remove and bolt on parts. You need diagnosis of the entire front end. Bushings, tie rods, upper/lower control arms, ball joints, drag links, stabilizer bar and links, even into the power steering linkages.

I think you are trying to solve several problems related to truck age and mileage. 250,000 miles on a 25 year old truck. Its going to have some worn parts needing replacement.

@JayQQ97

Please step back....take a deep breath. Solve 1 issue at a time. Realize it is very hard to run diagnostics from a remote keyboard.

I strongly urge you to visit a shop that handles front end work. Not some fly by 4x4 shop. Those guys mostly just remove and bolt on parts. You need diagnosis of the entire front end. Bushings, tie rods, upper/lower control arms, ball joints, drag links, stabilizer bar and links, even into the power steering linkages.

I think you are trying to solve several problems related to truck age and mileage. 250,000 miles on a 25 year old truck. Its going to have some worn parts needing replacement.
Even at 1/2 that age be prepared to replace costly front end parts. Trust me i've been through it. Toyota's are not much different from other vehicles when it comes eventually that stuff.

Even at 1/2 that age be prepared to replace costly front end parts. Trust me i've been through it. Toyota's are not much different from other vehicles when it comes eventually that stuff.
i bot a good amount of toyota front end parts last year (saved more than 500$ maybe 1000$ over MSRP) during a generous holiday sale from an online dealer in Miami. about 40% off + free shipping
it included a new driver side knuckle with an UBJ already init, in the event that the 4x4 jeep shop that did the bearing twice mucked the knuckle up with their impact drill instead of laying it all out on a press to properly do it
either the China bearing wasted out in 4 months OR the axle nut was not properly torqued by them and screwed up something

its now a matter of enough downtime with an unknown amount of time for an amateur wrencher that keeps buggering up his wrist,shoulder,neck (hopefully not the knees!) sprain the wrist takes a few days to heal, sprain the shoulder takes a few weeks to heal

i've watched the Timmy the Toolman ToyotaTime uTubes and its not rocket science to do the front end, you just need good health which comes and goes these days

the Toyota dealer gave me a quote of nearly 7000$ yesterday to do some of this stuff :confused: that price probably included their MSRP priced parts

These KYB are not that old at all

Are they shot wasted so soon
Buncha wavy bumpy sway going on back there over rotted buckled crap roads

Back