time for an upgrade from the Yota rear shocks...

De struts are butefull.
Disappointed... thing is those those Monroe quickstruts turned out tobe absolute junk on my rig... Unless something else in great need of repair that the inspector experts never seem to get a good eye on if it is a needed suspension steering repair

So onto the next repair before I have to pork out big coin (over $1000 is likely) so I that I can safely wheel more than 5mph on a rugged outer cemetery road
Yikes! :eek:

Disappointed... thing is those those Monroe quickstruts turned out tobe absolute junk on my rig... Unless something else in great need of repair that the inspector experts never seem to get a good eye on if it is a needed suspension steering repair

So onto the next repair before I have to pork out big coin (over $1000 is likely) so I that I can safely wheel more than 5mph on a rugged outer cemetery road
Yikes! :eek:
They were fine on my gen1 tundra. What did you not like with them? When i bought them from a local auto parts store, they asked me which ones models i preferred. They said monroe offers a less expensive grade, and one that is more of a beefier grade, and a longer warranty. I took their more expensive ones. They performed identical to the kyb's that i removed.

They were fine on my gen1 tundra. What did you not like with them? When i bought them from a local auto parts store, they asked me which ones models i preferred. They said monroe offers a less expensive grade, and one that is more of a beefier grade, and a longer warranty. I took their more expensive ones. They performed identical to the kyb's that i removed.

They are not dampening much of anything !!! Same abhorrent shocking vibrations as before
Maybe something else loosey goosey going on underneath
IDK

Sounds likely you got other issues. The oem kyb struts on my tundra still were dampening ok at about 175k miles except the lower mounting rubber bushings were shot, it was metal to metal contact. Found my steering rack leaking along with corroded lines, plus the tie rod ends had a lot of play. That was another $1200 job.

Yes I don't know what to do now other than just throwing all new parts everywhere on anything available, which I don't necessarily wish to do
But what else to do?
The 'experts' that have taken a gander for a cost cannot readily pinpoint anything in particular :confused:

Last edited:
All i can say at nearly 300k miles with decent maintenance my gen1 tundra, it was costing me more than it was worth. Comes a time you gotta know when to hold them, and when to fold them. I saw this covid bs coming around new years of 2020, and made a quick decision to sell the tundra, and buy a new tacoma. Looking back i was really glad i did. Just a few months later everything went tapioca with covid. Heck if you can buy a new tacoma now for msrp, i guess your doing good.

I will counter with once that black cosmoline started being applied there is NO turning back now :eek:
Truck runs smooth and well otherwise once there is good or better pavement underneath
It's not ready for the crusher yet!
And there is only 724k miles to go :cool:

I hear you. I still have a few regrets selling the tundra, it had a wider bed which i really miss. At least its still running as a farm truck in the next town over with its new owner. I could i put it out to pasture.

I hear you. I still have a few regrets selling the tundra, it had a wider bed which i really miss. At least its still running as a farm truck in the next town over with its new owner. I could i put it out to pasture.
It's likely I'm very frustrated because everything non-routine seems to be needing done all at once one right after the other not much for downtime between the routine stuffs

Plus the old winter grocery getter car that is still down for maintenance restore still
It started with a nasty fuel leak and just snowballed :eek:

@JayQQ97

Suggest to inspect all the bushings.....including the cab mounts. I'm making a SWAG, but Gen1 trucks will have some significant age and mileage.

Check all the rubber mounts, bushings.....all that stuff.

Something else is confounding your experience with the new shocks. Even the worst shock on the market will provide damping when new.

I'd hesitate on loading the part cannon to fire a random shot in the dark hoping to hit the mark. This will only work to MT your wallet. In other words, dig in to run diagnosis to find the root cause. Then a solution will become clear.

Yes. All. Take a look at the engine mounts. Don't forget the bushings and mounts for all the suspension. Ball joints, lower control arm mounts.......

Rubber from '97 can easily be degraded.

Yes. All. Take a look at the engine mounts. Don't forget the bushings and mounts for all the suspension. Ball joints, lower control arm mounts.......

Rubber from '97 can easily be degraded.
Indie Toyota shop did a rough estimate for those cab mounts
2000$ two thousand seems about right or a bit much?

Seems rich to me......

I think you can do this yourself. It may take some jigglin' around to wrangle each cab mount out for replacement. Probably able to "lift" one side (ie driver's side) at a time to work that side, then do the other side.

Only need to lift enough to support the load off the mounts. Shouldn't need to remove the cab.

Remember, shops run on standardized labor hours. They probably are looking at a book for the cab removal/install procedure and the associated hours.

Before you do anything. You should confirm the mounts are good or bad.

Seems rich to me......

I think you can do this yourself. It may take some jigglin' around to wrangle each cab mount out for replacement. Probably able to "lift" one side (ie driver's side) at a time to work that side, then do the other side.

Only need to lift enough to support the load off the mounts. Shouldn't need to remove the cab.

Remember, shops run on standardized labor hours. They probably are looking at a book for the cab removal/install procedure and the associated hours.

Before you do anything. You should confirm the mounts are good or bad.
i am searching the YouTube to see whats involved for the DIY

Search for a Toyota Factory Service manual.

I have a copy for my Gen 2. Can't say if it applies to the Gen 1. Sorry, don't remember the link where I found it. I know I downloaded it from some location on the WWW.

i do have the pdf copy

there are MANY assumptions with using that though i have found from using the paper copy for my Corolla
that you have some training in ASE mechanics program, which i do not

for example

Back