Gen2 suspension crossmember under cover...

Suggest removing the part.

Strip the paint, remove the rust. Follow with a 2k automotive grade prime and paint. Don't waste your time with a rattle can.

Squirting cosmoline or FF or any type of rust prevent snot will not stop the corrosion.

You can fix it or apply a cover up.

cant remove crust very much if its already eaten all the way through to perforation holes

one big perf broke out last year and now the start of a smaller perforation on the opposing side has started

Truck is disintegrating. I'd be even more worried with certain portions of the boxed in frame sections that rust from the insides out. You can't see it till too late.

do i just spray the black cosmoline all over that roached krap? after drying it with brakleen or whatever

or is some POR-15 needed here
thank you.

the engine under cover No.2 is 149$ MSRP
its not quite as bad as the No.1 piece
but i have yet to get it somehow removed, which i don't know the condition of the fasteners and how caked they may or may not be

1-13-23

this is for Gen2 single cab with the 4cyl
picture in #23 post

where do 2 bolts in the rear connect, the ones that nuts broke and kept spinning on this '11
its been much too cold to look further... and still waiting on that new part from KC warehouse!
i need to still change the front diff fluid in that one

still am trying to get at the front diff fluid whilst weather is warmish in November, its near 70 degrees but could go back to freezing any day upcoming

I can't stand hacks, I like to do things once and do them right..

do i just spray the black cosmoline all over that roached krap? after drying it with brakleen or whatever

or is some POR-15 needed here
thank you.
Cosmoline is best for new clean metal. Not much can be done on roached metal other than replace it, or encapsulate it.
As far as the weather, it's raining again here...at least lightly. Been cool, winters coming.

cosmoline does not encapsulate it?
Yeah, it will, but there are better solutions like lanolin based rust inhibitors that need constant reapplying, but they tend to work better when coating rust. I've even run into guys that swear by using plastic roof cement, something I'd never use.

Back