Gen2 suspension crossmember under cover...

Yeah, but there are better solutions like l lanolin based rust inhibitors that need constant reapplying, but they tend to work better when coating rust. I've even run into guys that swear by using plastic roof cement, something I'd never use.

one of these undercoating products from Ontario Canada claims to EAT and dissolve surface rust!

I've wire wheeled the heavy rust scale of metal in the past, then use rustoleum's rust converter that turns the rusty iron black. When it's dry. I've painted it with a quality epoxy paint. This method works well on heavy rusted iron.

There is another option for that cover.

Just remove it. Leave it off. Zero cost.

I don't understand how that got so much rust. My '06 isn't near that condition. It lived on a farm in IA before I purchased it. Me thinks the '11 had very poor upkeep or care.

Front end packed with snow and salted slop was not washed ever just left to dry afaik

Dealer undercoated it for them as new from Minnesota
They understood it was protected

There is a metal piece that looks to connect to bumper in front
Notta lick of rott onit
Wtfh!

There is another option for that cover.

Just remove it. Leave it off. Zero cost.

I don't understand how that got so much rust. My '06 isn't near that condition. It lived on a farm in IA before I purchased it. Me thinks the '11 had very poor upkeep or care.
Geez, whatever made you come to that conclusion. :confused:

those plates serve a very impotant role
in protecting stuffs above from road hazards that may be encountered out in the wild

the shiitt coating toyota used on the part is the blame... salt ATE right through the crap in no time at all
its not my personal truck, i can only do so much :confused:
the yota dealer where truck was bot maintained this truck for 8 years up to May-2o19 and 40k miles

the shiitt coating toyota used on the part is the blame... salt ATE right through the crap in no time at all
its not my personal truck, i can only do so much :confused:
the yota dealer where truck was bot maintained this truck for 8 years up to May-2o19 and 40k miles
Got a news flash, it's not the dealers responsibility to keep your vehicle rust free. Toyota only does so much till whatever warranty is over. It's up to the owner to take care of their vehicle as far as the appearance part, and keeping it rust free as possible. The dealers only do the mechanical end. Its why there are detailers, if your unable to do your part.

it is if you pay good money to have them undercoat it for the protection from the elements!

undercoating fails, or in this case, is Half-ASSED, then what the F?

it is if you pay good money to have them undercoat it for the protection from the elements!

undercoating fails, or in this case, is Half-ASSED, then what the F?
I have not ever seen a toyota dealer do undercoating, or even recommend it. They only do areas what toyota instructs them to address, if a known issue. Dealers can do paint protection as ceramic coatings, or some will just farm it out to whoever they have under contract.

all the dealers here recommend their rubbery tar spray coatings to safeguard against the elements

.... even on the USED vehicle lot if the original owner did not do it when new

Thats the worst type to undercoat a vehicle....it's not self healing. Once it chips, moisture gets underneath were it gets trapped forming rust. Toyota themselves would never recommend it. These dealers must be offering it on their own.

NFS??

why the F do them dealers PUSH IT, then?

they PUSH IT since at least 1995 around here

No toyota dealers here do undercoating, so I couldn't say other than their trying to make a buck hoping they ruin your vehicle sooner, so you'll buy another one.

next time some salesguy or salesgal approaches I on the yota lot we shall have a most pleasant chat about all that there
yes indeed.

Back